Projectile motion figuring out the variables

In summary, the problem has 2 knowns, the speed and angle of the ball at the time of flight. To solve for the rest of the variables, the person needs to find the highest point and how far it travels before striking the ground.
Kaxa2000
I'm working on a problem that gives me the initial velocity and angle at which the ball is thrown and that it happens on the moon, but that's it. So I only have 2 knowns in the x and y direction. I'm supposed to find how far and how high the ball is thrown before striking the ground. Am I able to set the final velocities equal to zero so I can have 3 of 5 variables? The examples I've looked at haven't done that so I'm confused. Is it possible to solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
You've got all you need. The speed, angle and gravity determine the whole flight. Go ahead and write your horizontal and vertical equations and show them here if you would like more help.

ok

so

x-component
dx = ?
vx0 = 44.69cos60
vf =
a = 0
t =

y-component
dy = ?
vy0 = 44.69sin60
vf =
a = -g = -1.62m/s^2(on the moon)
t =

y-direction
V = Vi + at AND d = Vi*t + .5*a*t^2
V = 44.69*sin(60) - 1.62*t AND y = 44.69*sin(60)*t - .81*t^2

I guess the next step is to get the time of flight, or half of it. There are several ways to do this. Some recall the vertical velocity at half time, others like to use the known velocity at the full time of flight. Or you could use the fact that y = 0 at the end of the flight.

So I would set vf for the y component equal to 0 m/s since at it's highest point the velocity is zero?? Then solve the y component for the displacement to get the distance it is at when it reaches its highest point? Then I could also solve for the time and then multiply it by 2 since at the highest point it's only halfway between the horizontal displacement and then solve for the horizontal displacement.

I need to find the highest point and how far it would travel before striking the ground.

Let me know if this is right..thanks for any help

All right! You've got it all planned.

Okay...thanks!

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air, under the influence of gravity. It is a combination of horizontal and vertical motion.

What are the variables involved in projectile motion?

The variables involved in projectile motion are initial velocity, angle of projection, time of flight, horizontal displacement, vertical displacement, and acceleration due to gravity.

How do you calculate the initial velocity of a projectile?

The initial velocity of a projectile can be calculated using the formula v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time of flight.

What is the formula for calculating the range of a projectile?

The formula for calculating the range of a projectile is R = u^2 sin(2θ)/g, where R is the range, u is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of projection, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

How does the angle of projection affect the motion of a projectile?

The angle of projection affects the motion of a projectile by determining the initial direction of the projectile. A higher angle will result in a longer flight time and a longer range, while a lower angle will result in a shorter flight time and a shorter range.