1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Motion (Find T with ΔDx, ΔDy, θ, and A?)

1. Oct 12, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A projectile is launched at a 45 degree angle 1.2m off the ground. Its horizontal displacement is 25.58m. Assuming no wind resistance or friction or anything like that, how long did the launch take?

horizontal:
    ΔDx=25.58m

Vertical:
    ΔDy=1.2m
    a=9.8m/s^2

θ, or Angle = 45 degrees

2. Relevant equations

I'm not sure so I'll just list a bunch I think could be relevant.

Standard BIG 4 equations.

V=D/T

a=(Vf-Vi)/t

d=([Vf+Vi]/2)t

The quadratic formula.

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't even know where to begin to be honest, I don't know any speed/velocity.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2011 #2
    You know that the angle of launch is 45 degrees, which indicates that both the horizontal and vertical components of the initial velocity are equal.

With the information that you have, you can calculate the initial vertical component of velocity if 1.2m is the maximum height.

4. Oct 12, 2011 #3
    Oh the maximum height isn't 1.2m, thats the distance above the ground it was launched at.

5. Oct 12, 2011 #4
    Well then, forget the second part - you can still use the first piece of information I gave you. If my method is correct, then my time is 2.34s. Can you verify that?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook