Grade 11 Physics Projectile Motion Question

In summary, a cannonball is launched at a speed of 90.0m/s at an angle of 60.0° above the horizontal from a tower that is 38.0m high. Using the position and velocity equations, the horizontal distance from the tower can be calculated by considering the initial height. The correct answer is 736m.
mmChocolate

Homework Statement

A cannonball is launched at 90.0m/s at an angle of 60.0° above the horizontal from the top of a tower that is 38.0m high. How far away from the tower does it land if the ground is level?

Homework Equations

Vix=90.0m/s X Cos60
Viy=90.0m/x X Sin60

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the formula to find the distance from the tower, but i did not include the initial 38.0m that it was launched from. I do not know how this fits into the equation.

x-comp: Vix=90.0m/s X Cos60= 45m/s
y-comp: Viy=90.0m/s X Sin60=77.94228634m/s

Δdy=Viy×Δt+1/2a(t)^2
0=77.94228634m/s(Δt)+1/2(-9.81m/s^2)(Δt^2)
Δt=(77.94228634m/s)/(4.905m/s^2)
t=15.89037438s

Once you know time, you plug that into find the horizontal distance.

Δdx=Vix X Δt
Δdx=(45m/s)(15.89037438s)
Δdx= 715.0668471m

This is the answer because I did not include the 38.0m. How can i do that? The correct answer is 736m.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Initial height is in the position equation, not the velocity equation. Are you familiar with that equation?

To clear that up, use the y-component of the position equation to solve for time. That way, it takes into account the initial height of the ball. Then, using the components of velocity given and the known acceleration, you should be able to figure out the rest fairly easily.

Thanks! That helped a lot.

Just remember the equations for the future. All of the equations are fairly simple to work with. Therefore, if your answer doesn't really make sense with one equation because of either a left-out variable or something else, there are other equations to try if you have the variables.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air due to the force of gravity. It is a combination of horizontal and vertical motion and can be described using principles of kinematics.

2. How is projectile motion different from regular motion?

Projectile motion is different from regular motion because it involves both horizontal and vertical components. In regular motion, an object usually moves in a single direction, while in projectile motion, an object follows a curved path.

3. What are the key factors that affect projectile motion?

The key factors that affect projectile motion are initial velocity, angle of launch, and acceleration due to gravity. These factors determine the trajectory, range, and maximum height of a projectile.

4. What is the formula for calculating the range of a projectile?

The formula for calculating the range of a projectile is Range = (initial velocity)^2 x sin(2θ) / g, where θ is the angle of launch and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance can affect projectile motion by slowing down the object's horizontal velocity and changing the shape of its trajectory. This can lead to a shorter range and a lower maximum height for the projectile.