1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Very Hard Projectile Motion<Help, >

1. Oct 23, 2009 #1
    Very Hard Projectile Motion making me nuts<Help, Urgent!>

Hey there, i am in grade 12 4u physics course and i would really appreciate it if someone can help me out with the following Projectile Motion questions. I tried to figure out how to do it but i can't think of any.

Question:1 Title:"Hit the floor Target"

Diagram:

xmplsg.jpg

Given:

Δdx=4.950 m
    Δdy=-1.130m
    Vi=6.52 m/s

Solve for Θ (theta).

Question:2 Title: "Colliding Projectiles"

2 projectiles, one purely horizontal, situated above the other- angular are set to collide in mid-air

Given:

Vix=4.80 m/s
    2.0m (separation at launch vertically)

Solve for Θ (theta) ; x- separation at launch. <full solution format>
    Provide: A "flight - path' diagram showing coordinates of collision and Δt for collision.

Question 3: Title: "Hit the falling Target"

Diagram:

33pan1u.jpg

Given:

Vi=6.52 m/s
    Δdx=2.2 m
    Δdy=1.650 m

Solve for Θ (theta) <full solution format>

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Hello, Mafiaboy, and welcome to PF!
    Your question looks interesting but you can't get help here unless you show your attempt. Part of the reason is to give us an idea where you are coming from so our help will be on target. Does your class write the two headings for "horizontal part" and "vertical part" and then write the 3 formulas for these projectile problems?

By the way, your scanned image is very large - can't see it all on my screen. Better to scan at half that resolution.

4. Oct 23, 2009 #3
    I took my grade 11 physics course like 2 years ago so i really don't have any clue......beside just recently the teacher taught us the projectile motion chapter and he directly gave us these questions so that we can do a lab next class. Thanks for the response, and i still need help!

"Image Resized"

5. Oct 23, 2009 #4

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Okay, so write the two headings "horizontal" and "vertical".
    Ask yourself what type of motion you have in each direction (constant speed or acclerated) and write the appropriate equations for each. Don't use the combined velocity 6.52 - use trig to separate it into horizontal and vertical components and use those. Put your numbers into all three equations and likely you'll be able to solve at least one of them and find out something.

6. Oct 24, 2009 #5
    doesn't help......i need some spoon feeding.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  7. Oct 24, 2009 #6

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Horizontal - constant speed so x = Viyt
    Vertical - accelerated so V = Vix + at and y = Viy*t+½at²
    Looks like you have the initial speed but not the angle, so you must let the angle be Θ, which makes Vix = 6.52*cosΘ, and Viy = ........
    If you don't see that right away, make a sketch of your 6.52 at angle Θ with vertical component Viy and use trig to find it like I did with Vix.
    Put those values into the formulas. Also the acceleration, x and y distances. Look at all 3 formulas and see which one(s) you can solve to find something.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook