1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile motion finding distance

1. Mar 15, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    King Arthur's knights use a catapult to launch a rock from their vantage point on top of the castle wall, 12m above the moat. The rock is launched at a speed of 27m/s and an angle of 39∘ above the horizontal. How far from the castle wall does the launched rock hit the ground?

2. Relevant equations
    sin(theta)
    cos(theta)
    x=1/2at^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found the Vy and Vx components. To find time you see how long it reaches to the peak so I divided Vy/10? I found out time was t=1.69s (probably wrong) Then right there I'm stuck. I don't know what to do with the 12m either. I think I'm on the right track but maybe I'm just wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2015 #2
    Do you have an equation for y? That would be the key in incorporating the information about 12m.

4. Mar 15, 2015 #3
    do you mean the y=Vy(t)-1/2at^2? so if that's the case do you plug in 12 into y? and you are solving for t?

5. Mar 15, 2015 #4
    Did you get that equation from your textbook? Doesn't really look correct unless you change what the meaning of y is.

The way you have your equation, it seems like it should be Δy = Vy(t) - 1/2at^2 or y - y0 = Vy(t) - 1/2at^2, where y is the height at time t and y0 is your initial height.

6. Mar 15, 2015 #5
    I was talking it over with my friend and he gave that equation. I don't understand what you're trying to solve for in that equation.

7. Mar 15, 2015 #6
    Well, you want to know at what time t the rock the hits the ground, as it is a necessary part in finding your final answer: "How far from the castle wall does the launched rock hit the ground?"

You can't solve for t unless you have an equation for the height of the projectile (y - y0 = Vy(t) - 1/2at^2). If you know your starting height and the height at which you want to find t, you can solve for t using that equation if you keep in mind what y and y0 is in the equation.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted