Projectile Motion, how tall is the building

In summary: Since it is accelerating downward under the force of gravity, that should give you enough information to solve.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the height of a building by using the horizontal velocity of a ball thrown from the roof and its resulting horizontal displacement. The solution involves finding the time the ball spends in the air and using the vertical acceleration due to gravity to solve for the vertical displacement.
xRantastic

Homework Statement

A ball thrown horizontally at 21.7 m/s from the roof of a building lands 35.5 m from the base of the building. How tall is the building?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Vy= Voy + 1/2AT^2
Vy= -4.9(21.7)^2
Vy= -2307.361

I know it should be positive but MasteringPhysics.com keeps telling me that it is wrong whether positive or negative!

:|

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not really sure what you plugged into that formula... From what I can see you plugged the horizontal velocity in for 'time' and then solved for the vertical velocity. I don't think that will work even as far as units go.

I don't think you can solve directly for the vertical displacement with what you're given, however, you're given horizontal displacement, and initial horizontal velocity. Now, what's the horizontal acceleration? (shouldn't need any calculation) Knowing that, how would you solve for the time that the ball spends in the air? Then, knowing the change in time, and knowing the vertical acceleration (due to gravity) you should be able to solve for the vertical displacement.

Okay..heres what i did

X=VoxT --> T=Vox/x

T= 35.5/21.7
T=1.64

Thats its horizontal acceleration.

But are you sure that by multiplying that by -9.8 will give me the vertical displacement?

Thanks a lot greenlaser! Really appreciate it.

xRantastic said:
Okay..heres what i did

X=VoxT --> T=Vox/x

T= 35.5/21.7
T=1.64

Thats its horizontal acceleration.

But are you sure that by multiplying that by -9.8 will give me the vertical displacement?

No, T in the above is time; the time it takes for the projectile to reach distance 35.5m given that its velocity in the x-direction is 21.7 m/s.

While the projectile is traveling horizontally for time T, it is also falling vertically (separate component of the overall motion!). The question is, how far will it fall vertically in the same time T?

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object moving through the air or another medium while being subject only to the effects of gravity and air resistance.

2. How is projectile motion calculated?

Projectile motion is typically calculated using the equations of motion, which take into account the initial velocity, acceleration due to gravity, and the time and distance traveled.

3. Can projectile motion be applied to objects thrown at an angle?

Yes, projectile motion can be applied to objects thrown at an angle. In this case, the initial velocity will have both vertical and horizontal components, and the equations of motion will need to be adjusted accordingly.

4. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect projectile motion by slowing down the object and changing its trajectory. This is especially significant for objects with larger surface areas or lighter weights.

5. How can projectile motion be used to determine the height of a building?

To determine the height of a building using projectile motion, an object is thrown from the top of the building and the time it takes to reach the ground is measured. Using the equations of motion and the measured time, the height of the building can be calculated.