1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Motion- How to Calculate Displacement

1. Jun 6, 2014 #1

Jai

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am wanting to calculate the Displacement of a projectile when it is launched at various angles, however all I have is the Initial velocity and the acceleration due to gravity.

3. The attempt at a solution

first attempted to approach this by calculating the horizontal and Vertical initial velocity. I then realised that since air resistance is being neglected the horizontal acceleration should be 0. That is as far as I got and I'm not even sure if I was on the right track.

Sorry if it is obvious but it is just not coming to me...
    -Thanks

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2014 #2

Nathanael

Homework Helper

Welcome to physics forums.

Have you tried figuring out how long it will be in the air?

Do you know how to go about figuring that out?

4. Jun 6, 2014 #3

Jai

Thanks for the reply. Yes I did consider that and try using the equations t=s/v, V=u+at, S=ut+1/2at^2 and V^2=u^2+2as but none of these seemed to work. They are the only equations I have been taught involving time.

5. Jun 6, 2014 #4

Nathanael

Homework Helper

Do you know what the vertical velocity will be when it hits the ground? (Assuming you know the initial vertical velocity)

If you know the initial vertical velocity and the final vertical velocity, then you know what the total change in vertical velocity is.

And you also know the vertical acceleration, so you could potentially figure out the time that way.
    (time = change in velocity / acceleration)

6. Jun 6, 2014 #5

Jai

Possibly. I did work something out but I am not sure if it is correct. the initial vertical velocity is 4.038 m/s^2. I then subtracted the acceleration due to gravity giving me -5.77m/s^2. Sorry if this is all wrong I've just really confused myself here...

7. Jun 6, 2014 #6

Nathanael

Homework Helper

Those are units of acceleration, so that can't be right.

Are we assuming that the projectile is launched from ground level?

If so:
    Will the time it takes to go up (and reach maximum height) be less than, greater than, or equal to, the time that it takes to fall back down to the ground?

8. Jun 6, 2014 #7

Jai

Yes, it is launched from ground level. Won't the differences in time depend on the angle?

9. Jun 6, 2014 #8

Nathanael

Homework Helper

Well the angle only effects how much of the initial velocity is "converted" into vertical velocity and horiztonal velocity. ("Converted" is not the right word. But do you understand what I'm trying to say?)

When we look at the time it takes to reach the maximum height, (and the time it takes to fall from that maximum height) we are only interested in the vertical velocity. We can basically pretend we're throwing something straight up in the air.

If I throw something in the air will the time it takes to rise be less than, greater than, or equal to, the time that it takes to fall?
    (To fall back to the same height that I threw it. In your situation, ground level.)

EDIT:
    Or (a fourth option) will the answer depend on the velocity with which I throw it up?

10. Jun 6, 2014 #9

Nathanael

Homework Helper

Let's go back to the original problem.

Pretend that you DO know the time it is in the air. Call it " t "

With that piece of information, do you know how to solve for the displacement?

11. Jun 6, 2014 #10

Jai

Yes I understand what you mean. Would it depend on the velocity it was thrown at since it will constantly accelerate as it comes back down, meaning that if it has more time to do so it will end up at a greater speed?

12. Jun 6, 2014 #11

Jai

Yes I could use s=ut+1-2at^2 to calculate that.

13. Jun 6, 2014 #12

Nathanael

Homework Helper

But, it will also be thrown up at a greater speed, too! So does it balance out?

14. Jun 6, 2014 #13

Jai

Maybe not since it would be decellerating while travelling up and accelerating while coming down?

15. Jun 6, 2014 #14

Nathanael

Homework Helper

So what would "u" be in this situation? What would "a" be?

16. Jun 6, 2014 #15

Jai

"a" would be 9.8m/s^2 and "u" is 15.6 m/s

17. Jun 6, 2014 #16

Nathanael

Homework Helper

If you're unsure, try using an equation:

If I throw a ball straight up with a known speed, " v " what will be it's maximum height, " h "?

18. Jun 6, 2014 #17

Nathanael

Homework Helper

Is that right?

When you are finding the displacement, you're only finding the horizontal displacement, right? Because the vertical displacement will be zero (it starts at the ground and falls back to the ground)

So when you use this equation, everything will be HORIZONTAL

The equation will be (in words:)

Horizontal displacement = initial horizontal velocity * time + horizontal acceleration * time squared / 2

19. Jun 6, 2014 #18

Jai

So the time would be equal?

20. Jun 6, 2014 #19

Jai

I didn't realise that thanks.

21. Jun 6, 2014 #20

Nathanael

Homework Helper

I don't know if you worked it out or if you're just guessing, but yes, the time would be equal (you can find this out mathematically)

So what would "u" and "a" be?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted