Projectile motion -- I could use some help studying example problems please

In summary, for the given problem of Tom chasing Jerry on a 1.5m high table, with Jerry stepping out of the way and Tom sliding off the edge at 5 m/s, the answers to the questions are as follows: A. Tom will strike the floor at a distance of 2.8m from the edge of the table.B. His vertical velocity component just before hitting the floor is -10 m/s and his horizontal velocity component is 5 m/s.
wib

Homework Statement

I have a test coming up in projectile motion, and I understand very little of it. Like calculating hang time, horizontal range, max height etc.

Homework Equations

ΔY=vyiΔt+1/2ay(Δt)^2
Quadratic formula
There shouldn't be any math past Algebra I

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
wib said:

Homework Statement

I have a test coming up in projectile motion, and I understand very little of it. Like calculating hang time, horizontal range, max height etc.

Homework Equations

ΔY=vyiΔt+1/2ay(Δt)^2
Quadratic formula
There shouldn't be any math past Algebra I

Welcome to the PF.

Post an example problem here using the Homework Help Template like you tried to fill out above, and we should be able to help you study. There are more Relevant Equations (like how is the velocity related to acceleration, etc.), and you will usually use F=ma in your solutions.

Post a sample question and do your best to solve it, and we will give you some hints on what you are not seeing... :smile:

Homework Statement

Tom the cat is chasing Jerry the mouse across a table surface 1.5m high . Jerry steps out of the way at the last second, and Tom slides off the edge of the table at a speed of 5 m/s.
A. Where will Tom strike the floor?
B. What are his vertiacl and horizontal velocity components just berfore he hits the floor?

Homework Equations

ΔY=vyiΔt+1/2ay(Δt)^2
Δx=vxit
My class rounds gravity from 9.81 to 10

-1.5=0+1/2(-10)t^2
t=0.55
so Δx=(5)(0.55)
=2.8m

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like your OP
wib said:
Tom the cat is chasing Jerry the mouse
For the first question
+) y = 0 = h - (gt^2)/2 => t
+) x = Vo*t => x

The Vinh said:
I really like your OP

For the first question
+) y = 0 = h - (gt^2)/2 => t
+) x = Vo*t => x
thanks

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity. Examples of projectile motion include a ball being thrown, a bullet being fired, or a rocket being launched.

2. What are the key components of projectile motion?

The key components of projectile motion are the initial velocity, angle of launch, and acceleration due to gravity. These factors determine the path and distance traveled by the projectile.

3. How do you calculate the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile can be calculated using the equation R = (V2sin2θ)/g, where R is the range, V is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. How does changing the angle of launch affect the range of a projectile?

Changing the angle of launch can significantly affect the range of a projectile. The maximum range is achieved when the angle of launch is 45 degrees. Any angle less than 45 degrees will result in a shorter range, while any angle greater than 45 degrees will result in a longer range.

5. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance can impact the trajectory and distance of a projectile. The higher the air resistance, the more it will slow down the projectile and decrease its range. However, for most simple projectile motion problems, air resistance is assumed to be negligible.