1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Motion in Bigger Radius.

1. Nov 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A projectile of mass, m is fired from the surface of the earth at an angle alpha from the vertical. THe initial speed v0 is equal to (GM/R)^0.5 where G is gravitational cont, M is mass of earth and R is radius of the earth. How high does the projectile rise? Neglect air resistance and the earth's rotation. r.max=r max in picture.

2. Relevant equations

U + K = constant

3. The attempt at a solution

So I started with that equation, and find out that
    -(GMm/R) + .5(m)(v0^2) = -(GMm/(r.max)) + .5(m)(vf^2)

and from here we can eliminate the vf because it is zero when it is a the highest position. But after substitution that v0 = (GM/R)^0.5 this equation will become

-(GMm/R) + .5(GMm/R) = -(GMm/(r.max))

this will become r.max =2R which i think is impossible.

Can anyone out there here me ? I am totally clueless. From the lecturer I found out that is it max when alpha is = 60degrees and the r.max is (3R/2) .

Thanks in advance
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2008 #2
    loss in Ke = Gain in GPE

h = distance from the centre of the earth

(1/2)m(v0 cos a)^2 = GMm/R - GMm/h

(1/2)(m)(GM/R) (cos a)^2 = GMm ( 1/R - 1/h)

Cancelling m and GM on both sides,

(1/2R) (cos a)^2 = 1/R - 1/h

1/h = 1/R - (1/2R) (cos a)^2

1/h = (2 - cos^2 a)/2R

h = (2R)/(sin^2 a + 1)

Therefore, for a maximum h, sin a must be as small as possible, setting alpha = 0 degrees gives h = 2R.

when alpha = 60 degrees, h = (2R)/(1.75) = 1.14R
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  4. Nov 13, 2008 #3
    hey unscientific as I know that from the lecturer it is a round number.. Could it be I have done wrong somewhere? I got the same answer as well but I just want to confirm again?

Anyone else might wanna try to help me?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?