Projectile Motion Leap Question

In summary, at the beginning the tiger has a Vx component and it is always constant so you can use this to calculate the distance. The final answer is V(initial)*t = 3.5 m/s (1.15s) = 4.025 m away from the base of the rock.
umkat
QUick Question:
A tiger leaps horizontally from a 6.5 m high rock with a speed of 3.5 m/s. How far from the base of the rock will the tiger land?

I started this problem by trying to find the vert. and horz. components, but I was not given an angle to use sin and cos with...how do i start this problem? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a picture, something that will help you.

i did that already...and it didnt help

would the angle be 90 degrees since the tiger is jumping horizontally?

umkat said:
would the angle be 90 degrees since the tiger is jumping horizontally?

no, it will be 0 degrees, of course I'm assuming max height is his initial position, it seems like that to me.

thanks.
i found how many seconds it will take (1.15)
but i still don't know how to find out the distance
sorry for being dumb =)

Well at the beginning he only has a Vx component, and remember it's always constant from the beginning to the end, so why don't you use it to calculate the distance?

would the final answer be V(initial)*t = 3.5 m/s (1.15s) = 4.025 m...
so 4 meters away??

If that's the time when it lands, then yes.

Thanks for your help...I just found this site tonite and signed up and it is real helpful. Thanks some much for the help, I'm sure I will continue to visit it again. Thanks

I've too found this site recently :smile: and yes i believe it is a great resource for students and teachers alike, it's always great to be of help.

okay I have one more question: Romeo is chunking pebbles gently up to Juliet's window, and he wants the pebbles to hit the window with only a horizontal component velocity. He is standing at the edge of a rose garden 4.5 m below her window and 5.0 m from the base of the wall. How fast are the pebbles going when they hit her window? I worked it out and got 5.6 m/s...is that what the answer is if anyone out there wants to work it out? thanks.

umkat said:
thanks.
i found how many seconds it will take (1.15)
but i still don't know how to find out the distance
sorry for being dumb =)

sorry to go back to a question you already answered, but how did you find the time it will take?

i found that
V(0)x = 3.5m/s
V(0)y = 0 m/s

would you use this to find the time?
x(0) would be 4.5 since it's the initial height right?
x(t) = x(0) + v(0)t + 1/2(a)(t)^2?
0 = 4.5 + 3.5t + 1/2(-9.8)(t)^2

is that how you solved for t?

i said that D=1/2(9.8)(1.15) which equals 5.63
to find t i did t =square root of 2d/g or 2(5.63)/9.8 which equals 1.15

did you finish it, umkat?

1. How do you calculate the maximum height of a projectile?

The maximum height of a projectile can be calculated using the formula h = (v2sin2θ)/2g, where v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of projection, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. What is the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile is the horizontal distance it travels before hitting the ground. It can be calculated using the formula R = v2sin2θ/g, where v is the initial velocity and θ is the angle of projection.

3. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance can affect projectile motion by slowing down the projectile and changing its trajectory. The effect of air resistance is more significant for objects with larger surface areas and lower velocities.

4. Can a projectile travel in a perfect parabolic path?

In theory, a projectile can travel in a perfect parabolic path if there is no air resistance and the gravitational force is the only force acting on it. However, in real-life situations, other factors such as air resistance and external forces may cause the path to deviate from a perfect parabola.

5. How does the angle of projection affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The angle of projection has a significant impact on the trajectory of a projectile. A lower angle will result in a shorter range but a higher maximum height, while a higher angle will result in a longer range but a lower maximum height. The optimum angle for maximum range is 45 degrees.