Projectile motion motorcycle jump

In summary, Jason Renie set a world record motorcycle jump of 77.0 meters, using 12.0º of takeoff angle and landing at the same height. His take-off speed was u = 558.5 m/s.
nothingsus

Homework Statement

The current world-record motorcycle jump is 77.0 m,
set by Jason Renie. Assume that he left the take-off ramp at
12.0º to the horizontal and that the take-off and landing
heights are the same. Neglecting air drag, determine his take-off
speed

Homework Equations

R = [(v0)^2/g]*sin2(theta)
5 constant acceleration equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi. I understand that I can use the range equation to solve this question, but I wanted to try and use the constant acceleration equations to try and understand it a little better, however I'm getting stuck.

Let u = the take off speed (magnitude of velocity vector)

u_x = ucos(12)
x_i = 0
x_f = 77
a_x = 0
t = ?

u_y = usin(12)
a = -9.8
y_i = 0
y_f = 0

I get stuck here because I don't know the time or final velocity components (not really sure how to use v_f = 0 for half the flight time either)

Physics news on Phys.org
nothingsus said:
Let u = the take off speed (magnitude of velocity vector)

u_x = ucos(12)
x_i = 0
x_f = 77
a_x = 0
t = ?

u_y = usin(12)
a = -9.8
y_i = 0
y_f = 0

I get stuck here because I don't know the time or final velocity components (not really sure how to use v_f = 0 for half the flight time either)

You need to think a move or two ahead. These problems don't always come out in one step. You put ##t = ?## but you should keep going with ##t = \frac{x_f}{u \cos \theta}##

Now, try to find a second expression for ##t## using the vertical component. You can do it either by using the time to the maximum height (where ##v_y = 0##) and symmetry of the motion. Or, you could use ##s_y = u_yt + \frac{a_y t^2}{2}## for vertical motion.

With your help I was able to solve it! I'll try to think further ahead for future problems.

Thanks so much!

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the curved path an object takes when it is thrown or launched into the air. It is a combination of horizontal and vertical motion due to the influence of gravity.

2. How does a motorcycle jump involve projectile motion?

When a motorcycle jumps, it follows a parabolic trajectory in the air due to the initial forward velocity and the downward force of gravity. This makes it an example of projectile motion.

3. What factors affect the distance a motorcycle can jump?

The distance a motorcycle can jump is affected by the initial velocity, angle of launch, and air resistance. The more powerful the motorcycle's engine, the greater the initial velocity, which allows for a longer jump. The angle of launch also plays a role, as a steeper angle will result in a shorter jump. Air resistance can also impact the distance, as a higher resistance will slow the motorcycle down and decrease the distance it can travel.

4. Is there a specific speed or angle that is ideal for a motorcycle jump?

There is no specific speed or angle that is considered ideal for a motorcycle jump. It ultimately depends on the rider's skill and the specific conditions of the jump, such as the length of the ramp and the landing area. However, a higher initial velocity and a shallower angle of launch can generally result in a longer jump.

5. How can scientists use projectile motion to study motorcycle jumps?

Scientists can use principles of projectile motion to analyze and predict the trajectory of a motorcycle during a jump. They can also use data from the jump, such as the distance traveled and the angle of launch, to better understand the physics behind motorcycle jumps and improve safety measures for riders.