1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Projectile Motion - Niagra Falls

1. Dec 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose the water at the top of Niagara Falls has a horizontal speed of 2.7 m/s just before it cascades over the edge of the falls. At what vertical distance below the edge does the velocity vector of the water point downward at a 75° angle below the horizontal?

x direction

a = 0 m/s

v0x = 2.7 m/s

vfx= 2.7 m/s

x = ?

y direction

ay = -9.80 m/s2

v0y = 0 m/s

vfy = ?

y = ?

Other Info

Angle = 75 degrees below horizontal

t = ?

2. Relevant equations

Newton's laws of motion...but I'm not exactly sure which ones as it appears there are two variables missing from each one.

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm studying for my final this Friday. This question plagued me at the beginning of the term, I never got it. The class moved on, and so did I. But I'm looking at it again and am determined to get it, but am still drawing a blank.

I'd like to find t as that would help significantly, but each equation that I've considered with it has another unknown variable as well.

Kind of flustered...

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2009 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Imagine a water molecule falling off the edge of the waterfall. What's its vertical speed at time t? What's its horizontal speed? How are the vertical & horizontal speeds related to the 75 degrees?

4. Dec 15, 2009 #3

ideasrule

Homework Helper

If you do it correctly, you WILL get t.

5. Dec 15, 2009 #4
    tan-1 = (vy / vx) = 75 degrees

6. Dec 15, 2009 #5
    Wait....

vy / vx = tan 75

vy = tan 75 (vx)

vy = 10.0765 m/s

vfy = voy + at

vfy - voy / a = t

t = 1.0282 s

y = 1/2 (vfy + voy) t

y = 1/2 (10.0765 m/s + 0 m/s) 1.0282 s

y = 5.18 m ----> 5.2 m with sig figs

Hrm....interesting.................

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook