1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile motion off a raised surface

1. Mar 17, 2013 #1
    1. Easy solution that I'm pretty sure I talked myself out of.
    Using a spring loaded shooter, first shoot it off a table and calculate data and then move to another table of a different height and shoot with an incline into a sandbox. Must hit within 10cm of line drawn in the sand.
    known info - y(f) = 1.62 m from center of ball to second platform, θ = 27 °
    f(g) = 9.8 m/s/s, using same shooter described in 2

2. Relevant equations
    information from straight shot from a table at .86m

Initial Final
    x₀= 0 x = 2.925 m
    y₀ = 0 y = .86 m
    v₀ = 6.98 m/s v = 6.98 m/s
    v₀ = 0 v = 4.11 m/s
    t₀ = 0 t = .419 s
    a = 0
    a = 9.8 m/s/s

3. The attempt at a solution

The only thing i need to know is if acceleration in the x direction would change (no other different factors) when changing from shooting in a straight line versus shooting up in the air at an angle. I know the different velocity equations (Vsinθ) so no problem their. I do not think it does change as using same spring but, I started to question myself when thinking about the parabolic shape of the projectile motion along the x axis when shot with a 27 degree up angle.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2013 #2
    Assuming a standard coordinate system, the x component of the velocity still changes at a constant rate, meaning the x accleration remains constant.

4. Mar 17, 2013 #3
    still not quite grasping concept

it is a standard coordinate system. constant velocity (6.98 m/s) with 0 acceleration (in the x direction) when shooting straight. When shooting up 27 degrees would that cause a change in acceleration (from a=0 shooting straight) to appear in the x component due to angle versus x direction? If so how would i go about solving for it? (i would assume something like Vcos(θ)?? if acceleration is some other constant than 0.)
    known info - y(f) = 1.62 m from center of ball (at release point) to ground, θ = 27 ° up
    f(g) = (m)9.8 m/s/s, using same shooter described in 2, information from shooting straight listed above.

5. Mar 17, 2013 #4
    Solved. Unless another force acting upon it (ie rocket booster) acceleration along the x component will be 0 regardless of angle. The only force acting upon it will be gravity which only affects the y component.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted