1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Motion on a sloped surface

1. Apr 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A projectile is launched at 10m/s from a sloped surface. The surface is angled 30degrees, and the projectile is launched off from the surface at a 45degrees angle relative to the horizon.

Find the distance from the launching point where the projectile lands.
    How long does it take to reach this point?

2. Relevant equations
    v = 10 m/s

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've tried solving this by resolving the angled plane as the horizon, giving the projectile angled at 75degrees, but I don't think this is the right way to proceed, the parabolic shape would not be preserved by this, and the length from origin would be wrong.

Thanks for the help, I'm really struggling how to approach this problem.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Can you come up with an equation describing the parabola? And one describing the sloped surface? Find their intersection.

4. Apr 14, 2009 #3
    I considered that as well. However no dimensions are given. The picture provided is almost exactly as it was presented.

5. Apr 14, 2009 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Don't try to guess it off the diagram. Derive it from projectile motion equations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook