1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Motion Question (physics 101)

1. Sep 11, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A projectile is shot from the edge of a cliff 125 m above ground level with an initial speed of 65.0 m/s at an angle of 37 degrrees with the horizontal. Find the horizontal and vertical components of its velocity at the instant just before the projectile hits point P (the ground).

2. Relevant equations

Vxo = Vo cos 37
    Vyo = Vo sin 37
    Vy = Vyo - gt ...????

3. The attempt at a solution

The answer is given in the back of the book. Plugging in the initial velocity in the first equation gives the correct answer (which I expected), but the answer I acheive for Vyo should be negative and I haven't yet acheived that. I tried to plug the answer I got for Vyo (the positive one) into the equation Vy = Vyo - gt, but still did not get the right answer. I'm truly grasping at straws here.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2008 #2
    You can use Vy = Vyo - gt to find the vertical component, but must first find the time at which the projectile reaches P. To do this, you use the equation for the y-coordinate as a function of time.
  4. Sep 11, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi cheese89! :smile:

I don't understand how you got any result for Vy from Vy = Vyo - gt … :confused:

you don't know what t is.

Hint: you haven't used y = 125 yet, have you? :wink:
  5. Sep 11, 2008 #4

Its an oral question dear. Just think will the boy acclerate in x direction. If it does, vertical component will change otherwise not. For the y direction, whatever you throw come down with same speed.
  6. Sep 11, 2008 #5
    For this problem you should check your constant acceleration formulas. The Acceleration in this case is a constant -9.8m/s^2(gravity). And there is no acceleration in the x direction. The velocity would be v=Vo+at. where v= final velocity, Vo= initial velocity, a=acceleration, and t= time. Look at the information given to you in the problem and consult some of the other formulas. You have a displacement of 125m, a Vo, the acceleration, the angle. all you need is the time it took to get to the ground and you will have your answer =)
  7. Sep 11, 2008 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi ritwik06! :smile:

That only applies when we throw from the ground … this is from a 125 m cliff. :wink:
  8. Sep 11, 2008 #7
    you have to find time first using the formula Y = vt + 1/2 g t^2
  9. Sep 12, 2008 #8
    I know. I thought cheese was working for that interval as well.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?