Projectile Motion rock throw Help

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnitude and direction of a rock's velocity after being thrown horizontally from a cliff with a initial velocity of 25 m/s. The correct answer is 38.6 m/s and 49.6 degrees down. The correct method involves using trigonometry to find the total velocity by adding the horizontal and vertical velocities together as vectors.
evan1997ere
If a rock is thrown horizontally from a cliff at 25 m/s, what will its velocity be (magnitude and direction) after 3.0 seconds. The answer is 38.6 m/s, and 49.6 degrees down, but I cannot figure out how to get to it.

Not sure which equations to use, I just started and I am learning on my own.

I assumed that to find the velocity, you should average the horizontal and vertical velocities together. So since it has been 3 seconds, the vertical would be 29.4 m/s, because the gravitational constant is 9.8 m/s/s, and the horizontal would remain 25 m/s. Averaged, it would be 27.2 m/s. Obviously that was incorrect. As far as direction goes, I have no idea.

Physics news on Phys.org
The horizontal and vertical velocities are the components of the total velocity. You must add them like vectors, not average them. A bit of trig will allow you to find to the magnitude and direction of that vector.

Oh okay, I'll look that up and see if I can get it. Thanks

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion refers to the motion of an object that is thrown or launched into the air and moves along a curved path due to the influence of gravity.

2. How is the trajectory of a projectile determined?

The trajectory of a projectile is determined by its initial velocity, angle of launch, and the force of gravity acting on it.

3. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance can affect projectile motion by slowing down the object and altering its trajectory. This is more significant for objects with larger surface areas and lower mass.

4. What factors affect the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile is affected by its launch angle, initial velocity, and the force of gravity. Air resistance can also play a role in altering the range.

5. How can projectile motion be calculated?

Projectile motion can be calculated using equations and principles from physics, such as the equations of motion and the laws of gravity. Computer simulations and experiments can also be used to calculate and analyze projectile motion.