Projectile motion: solving for variable angle

In summary: I'm not sure why WolframAlpha is giving an incorrect result.In summary, the problem is that finding an explicit equation for θ in terms of V_i, x, and H is an involved problem. However, using trig identities and the quadratic formula, an equation in the variable theta can be found.
foo_daemon
Hi,

I've been muddling over this problem for a few days. I thought there would be a simple approach, but I'm having trouble reaching a solution. Here is the rundown:

We have a 2D projectile launcher. It hurls an object from the origin (0,0) at some initial velocity with magnitude [itex]V_i[/itex] at angle θ with respect to the ground. You will be given its initial velocity, and must choose the launch angle θ such that the projectile will hit a target at point x,H (that is, a point x distance away with height H) during its descent (i.e. anytime after the peak where [itex]V_y = 0[/itex] ). It is a reasonable assumption that θ will be in the range [itex] 0 \leq θ \leq \frac{\pi}{2} [/itex].

I am trying to find an explicit formula for θ in terms of [itex]V_i [/itex] , [itex] x [/itex] , [itex] H [/itex], and the usual [itex] g = -9.8 \frac{m}{s^2} [/itex]
[itex] V_{yi} = sin \theta V_i [/itex]
[itex] V_{xi} = cos \theta V_i [/itex]

We have the following solutions for t:
[itex] V_{yi} t + \frac{1}{2} g t^2 -H = 0 [/itex]
[itex] V_{xi} t - x = 0 [/itex]

Since we want the projectile to hit the point (x,H) at the same time, we set the equations equal to each other:

[itex] \frac {1}{2}g t^2 + ( V_{yi} - V_{xi} ) t + (x - H) = 0 [/itex]

Use the quadratic formula to find t. (I expanded [itex] V_{xi} [/itex] and [itex] V_{yi} [/itex] in the resulting formula so we have θ back in the equation ).

[itex] t = \frac{-V_i ( sin \theta - cos \theta ) \pm \sqrt{{V_i}^2 ( 1 - sin{2 \theta} ) - 2 g (x - H)}}{g} [/itex]

I used trig substitution in the square-root to make a [itex] sin^2 + cos^2 = 1 [/itex] and double angle formula for [itex] 2 sin( \theta ) cos ( \theta ) = sin( 2 \theta ) [/itex] .

I want to factor that nasty expression under the radical by 'completing the square', but I don't see how that is possible.

Also, I don't really want to solve for t ... that is, I don't care how long the projectile takes. All I care about is what angle it needs to be launched at so that it hits point (x,H) .

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you don't need t, then why solve for it?
You can eliminate t between the two equations and find an equation in the variable theta.
For example, find t from the second one and plug it into the first one.
Then you can write the cos in terms of tan and find a quadratic equation in tan(theta).

Aha... yes, I didn't really want to solve for t, I just didn't see a way around it. Your approach is simple, and I'm dumbfounded I didn't realize it first ;)

However, it still seems to be an involved problem. Now we have:

[itex]t = \frac{x}{V_0} [/itex]
Plugging this t into the formula for [itex]V_y[/itex], I get:
[itex] tan ( \theta ) x + \frac{ g x^2 }{2 cos^2 ( \theta ) V_0^2 } - H = 0 [/itex]

This is very close to an explicit formula for θ, but I can't find any trig identities that will help me simplify. I can convert the [itex] \frac{1}{cos^2}[/itex] into [itex]sec^2[/itex] , but... that doesn't really seem to help.

foo_daemon said:
Aha... yes, I didn't really want to solve for t, I just didn't see a way around it. Your approach is simple, and I'm dumbfounded I didn't realize it first ;)

However, it still seems to be an involved problem. Now we have:

[itex]t = \frac{x}{V_0} [/itex]
Plugging this t into the formula for [itex]V_y[/itex], I get:
[itex] tan ( \theta ) x + \frac{ g x^2 }{2 cos^2 ( \theta ) V_0^2 } - H = 0 [/itex]

This is very close to an explicit formula for θ, but I can't find any trig identities that will help me simplify. I can convert the [itex] \frac{1}{cos^2}[/itex] into [itex]sec^2[/itex] , but... that doesn't really seem to help.

1/cos^2=1+tan^2

Hm, I still had problems finding the solution. I 'cheated' and used WolframAlpha to solve that last formula for theta.

Wolfram uses substitution and gives:

[itex] \theta = tan^{-1} \left ( \frac{ -V_i^2 \pm \sqrt{-g^2 x^2 + 2 g H V_i^2 + V_i^4}}{gx} \right ) [/itex]

WolframAlpha then states that after plugging the substitution back into the formula and running a check, it determines this solution is 'incorrect'. I plugged in some test numbers a few times, and the value for theta appears correct (consistent).

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion refers to the motion of an object that is launched into the air and moves along a curved path under the influence of gravity.

2. How is the angle of a projectile's launch determined?

The angle of a projectile's launch is determined by the direction in which it is launched or thrown. This angle is measured with respect to the horizontal line and is known as the launch angle.

3. What equations are used to solve for variable angle in projectile motion?

The equations used to solve for variable angle in projectile motion are the equations of motion, which include the horizontal and vertical components of velocity, acceleration due to gravity, and time.

4. How do you solve for the angle in projectile motion?

To solve for the angle in projectile motion, you can use the equations of motion and plug in known values for the initial velocity, acceleration due to gravity, and time. Then, you can use algebraic methods to solve for the angle.

5. What factors affect the angle in projectile motion?

The angle in projectile motion is affected by the initial velocity, acceleration due to gravity, and the distance and height of the object from the ground. Air resistance may also play a role in the angle of the projectile's trajectory.