1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile motion - velocity/time unknown

1. Jan 8, 2009 #1
    A batter hits a pitched ball at a height of 4 feet above the ground so that its angle of projection is 45 degrees and its horizontal range is 350 feet.
    The ball is fair down the left field line where a 24 foot high fence is located 320 feet from home plate.
    By how much will the ball clear the fence?

vfy=viy+at
    (vf)[tex]^{2}[/tex]= (vi)[tex]^{2}[/tex]+2aD (..we'll say D= displacement)
    D= vi(t)+.5(a)(t[tex]^{2}[/tex])

Vx=Dx(t)

Well, I only really know my x displacement, my acceleration constant, and that my initial y velocity and my x velocity are the same because of the 45 degree triangle [at least that's what my teacher said]...

So, help?! It's been bugging me for days.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2009 #2
    Once you have your components of initial velocity along X and Y, X (horizontal) and Y (vertical) equations of motion are only related by time since there is no force along X and the gravitational force along Y, and no constraints on the object like a plane or a string, etc. (it's in free-fall) ... therefore:

First find the time when the ball is passing the fence.

Using this time, find the Y location (the vertical displacement).

Since the fence is only so tall, you can know if it clears and by how much.

P.S. Welcome to the forums!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?