1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile motion with mass height and range

1. Jun 26, 2013 #1
    Hello all I have a question I was hoping someone could answer for my homework.
    A 78.0-kg boulder is rolling horizontally at the top of a vertical cliff that is h1 = 16 m above the surface of a lake, as shown in the figure below. The top of the vertical face of a dam is located d = 110 m from the foot of the cliff, with the top of the dam level with the surface of the water in the lake. A level plain is h2 = 28 m below the top of the dam.
    a) What must be the minimum speed of the rock just as it leaves the cliff so it will travel to the plain without striking the dam?
    b) How far from the foot of the dam does the rock hit the plain?

from what I could find on Google about it, it seems to be a conservation of energy problem as that is the only way you can relate mass to anything. As all of the kinematic equations I have seen in my book and notes have no variable for mass. I am also fairly certain that the limited amount of information in the problem means that the mass is simply not there for no reason.
    Any help you could give would be great! Thanks!!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hello SPiazzo! Welcome to PF! :smile:
    No, just use the standard constant acceleration equations. :wink:

4. Jun 27, 2013 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Please post homework questions in our homework section - I moved your thread.

I agree with tiny-tim, just use the formulas for constant acceleration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted