Projectile motion with two objects

In summary: You should have two distinct equations for the displacement of the two projectiles, and the two equations should have the same time variable t. So you can set the two equations equal to each other, and solve for t. Once you have t, you can use it to find the horizontal displacement of either projectile.
OccamsRazor1

Homework Statement

A flying shot glass hits a bottle of whisky behind the bar and topples it. The shot glass bounces off the bottle and lands some distance away, while the bottle falls off the shelf with a much smaller horizontal velocity.

Shotglass lands 2.4m from where it originally hit the bottle. The bottle is propelled sideways off the shelf at a velocity 1.2m/s. Both objects start from a height of 0.8m

a)How long are the shot glass and whisky bottle in the air?
b)What is the horizontal velocity of the shot glass after it leaves the whisky bottle?
c)How far does the whisky bottle land horizontally from the shelf?

2. Homework Equations (What I think are the relevant equations)

v_f+v_i=2d/t
d=1/2at^2+v_i(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

a) v_f=0, v_i=1.2m/s
v_i=2d/t
1.2m/s=2(2.4m)/t
t=2d/v_i
t=4.8m/1.2m/s=4.0s

b) :(

c) :(

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi OccamsRazor1, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Can you give some details about your attempt for part (a)? It looks to me like you're mixing data from the two different projectiles.

Did you draw and label a sketch of the scenario?

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched or thrown and moves under the influence of gravity, without any additional forces acting on it.

2. How is projectile motion affected by two objects?

When two objects are involved in projectile motion, the motion of one object can affect the motion of the other object. This can occur through collisions or through gravitational interactions.

3. What is the difference between projectile motion with one object and two objects?

In projectile motion with one object, the object moves under the influence of gravity alone. In projectile motion with two objects, the motion of one object can be influenced by the motion of the other object.

4. How is the path of a projectile affected by the mass of the objects?

The mass of the objects involved in projectile motion does not affect the path of the projectile. However, the mass of the objects can affect the force of gravity and therefore, the acceleration of the objects.

5. Can the initial velocity of one object affect the motion of the other object?

Yes, the initial velocity of one object can affect the motion of the other object in projectile motion. This is because the initial velocity of one object can cause a transfer of momentum to the other object during a collision, which can change its motion.