Projectile Question involving xyz coordinate plane

In summary, the problem involves graphing a ball's trajectory on a 3D coordinate plane, given its initial position and the location of a hole. The ball is launched at a 30 degree angle and the goal is to determine the minimum launch velocity needed for it to land in the hole. The problem can be simplified to 2D by ignoring the horizontal plane, and the graph can be constructed using the method discussed in a previous post. The solution involves finding the distance from the tee to the hole, using it to determine the time of travel, and solving for the initial velocity using the x and y components. The resulting velocity is 41.49 m/s.
icanletyougo

Homework Statement

Please help me graph this on xyz coordinate plane
A golfer strikes the ball of the tee at x=0;y=0;z=0. The hole center is located at a distance of 150m north(+x) and 75m west(+y) of the tee. The upper edge of the hole is 10m below(-z) the height of the tee.
If the the ball is launched from the tee at a 30 degree angle respect to the horizontal, what is the minimum launch velocity need to make the ball land into the hole.
Thank

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to graph it.

Physics news on Phys.org
icanletyougo said:

Homework Statement

Please help me graph this on xyz coordinate plane
A golfer strikes the ball of the tee at x=0;y=0;z=0. The hole center is located at a distance of 150m north(+x) and 75m west(+y) of the tee. The upper edge of the hole is 10m below(-z) the height of the tee.
If the the ball is launched from the tee at a 30 degree angle respect to the horizontal, what is the minimum launch velocity need to make the ball land into the hole.
Thank

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to graph it.

I think I need to find the distance from the tee to the hole. And then from that, use the x-component to figure out t, and then substitute t into the y-component eq. to find initial velocity. But I'm not sure...Can anyone help me?
Thank you very much

I suggest you just forget the horizontal plane and think about it in 2D. You can reconstruct the X,Y axes when you're finished.

Please refer to my post in this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=477477 about how to construct the parabola.

In your case, it's a bit different from that thread because you're given the vertical height and you have to solve for vertical and horizontal velocity, whereas the guy in that thread had Vx and Vy and had to solve for the height. That's not a big difference though. You both got the initial angle for free and that's the important bit. Your graph looks scary because the ball is going to sink below where you hit it, but as long as you watch the signs that won't be a problem.

As for what kind of picture they want you to draw, I have no idea.

Adrian.

AdrianMay said:
I suggest you just forget the horizontal plane and think about it in 2D. You can reconstruct the X,Y axes when you're finished.

Please refer to my post in this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=477477 about how to construct the parabola.

In your case, it's a bit different from that thread because you're given the vertical height and you have to solve for vertical and horizontal velocity, whereas the guy in that thread had Vx and Vy and had to solve for the height. That's not a big difference though. You both got the initial angle for free and that's the important bit. Your graph looks scary because the ball is going to sink below where you hit it, but as long as you watch the signs that won't be a problem.

As for what kind of picture they want you to draw, I have no idea.

Adrian.

Thanks Adrian.
This is my picture of the 2D motion
[PLAIN]http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/6691/24050103.jpg
So I have a question,
Do I need the OA length in order to find the time the ball travel?
This is my work...but I'm not sure it is correct...
OA = 167.7 m
From x-component we have
167.7 = v*cos(30)*t
t = 167.7/(v*cos(30))
From the y-component we have
-10 = (v*sin(30))*(t) -.5at^2
-10 = (v*sin(30))*(167.7/(v*cos(30)) - .5*(9.81)*(167.7/(v*cos(30))^2
From that I solve for v= 41.49 m/s
IS that right ?
Thank you so much

Last edited by a moderator:

I understand that this is a problem involving projectile motion and can be solved using equations and principles from physics. To graph this on the xyz coordinate plane, we can assign the origin (0,0,0) to be the starting point of the ball at the tee, with the x-axis pointing north, the y-axis pointing west, and the z-axis pointing upwards. The hole center can then be represented as the point (150, 75, -10) on the coordinate plane.

To find the minimum launch velocity needed for the ball to land in the hole, we can use the equations for projectile motion, which take into account the initial velocity, angle of launch, and gravity. We can also use the fact that the ball will follow a parabolic path and the distance between the tee and the hole is the hypotenuse of a right triangle formed by the x and y distances.

I would recommend breaking down the problem into smaller parts and solving for the initial velocity needed to reach the hole center in the x, y, and z directions separately. Then, we can use vector addition to find the total initial velocity needed for the ball to land in the hole.

I hope this helps and provides you with a starting point for solving this problem. Remember to always pay attention to units and use the appropriate equations for projectile motion. Good luck!

What is a projectile?

A projectile is an object that is launched or thrown into the air and follows a curved path due to the force of gravity.

What is the xyz coordinate plane?

The xyz coordinate plane is a three-dimensional coordinate system that uses three axes, x, y, and z, to locate points in space. The x-axis runs horizontally, the y-axis runs vertically, and the z-axis runs perpendicular to the other two axes.

How do you calculate the trajectory of a projectile in the xyz coordinate plane?

The trajectory of a projectile in the xyz coordinate plane can be calculated using the equations of motion, which take into account the initial velocity, angle of launch, and the force of gravity. These equations can be solved for the x, y, and z coordinates at different points in time to plot the trajectory.

What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile in the xyz coordinate plane?

The factors that affect the trajectory of a projectile in the xyz coordinate plane include the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and the force of gravity. The mass and shape of the object can also have an impact on its trajectory.

How can the xyz coordinate plane be used to analyze real-world scenarios involving projectiles?

The xyz coordinate plane can be used to analyze real-world scenarios involving projectiles by plotting the trajectory, determining the maximum height and distance, and predicting the impact point. This information can be used to make decisions in fields such as physics, engineering, and sports.