Projectile trajectory (True/False)

In summary, the speed at point F is the greatest and the horizontal component of the velocity at point C is zero.
sonutulsiani

Homework Statement

The figure represents the trajectory of a projectile going from A to F. Air resistance is negligible.

http://bcs.whfreeman.com/WebPub/Physics/tiplerphysics6e_bridge/question_bank_images/3-24.png?81

Homework Equations

For all the following sentences choose True or False:

1. At point F the speed is the greatest?

2. At point C the velocity vector has only an horizontal component?

3. At points B and D the velocities are the same?

4. At point C the acceleration is zero?

5. The time it takes the particle to get from point A to point C is greater than the time it takes it to get from point C to point F?

6. The horizontal component of the velocity at point E is the same as the horizontal component of the velocity at point A?

7. Let →vD , →vE be the velocity vectors at points D and E respectively.
The vector (→vE) − (→vD) is directed vertically downwards?

The Attempt at a Solution

I got as

1. True
2. False
3. True
4. False
5. True
6. False
7. I didn't understand it.

Now I don't know if these answers are correct or not.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If we could see the diagram, that would be really helpful.

For #5, why do you say it is true?
As for #7, I'm not sure what the question is asking.

Are the rest of the questions correct? except 5?
7 is like, the arrows are on top of v, so it's like velocity vector

sonutulsiani said:
Are the rest of the questions correct? except 5?
Yes
sonutulsiani said:
7 is like, the arrows are on top of v, so it's like velocity vector
I know, that's not what I don't get.

So 5 is false, but then why is it false? Does it take the same time?

sonutulsiani said:
So 5 is false, but then why is it false? Does it take the same time?
Of course, it's symmetrical. Think of it as a parabola on a graph where time is on the x-axis and meters are on the y axis. It takes the same time for it to get from A to C as it does for it to get from C to F.

for 7# what do you know about horizontal component of particle’s velocity that follows Projectile trajectory?

drizzle said:
for 7# what do you know about horizontal component of particle’s velocity that follows Projectile trajectory?

I wrote here all the information I had.

sonutulsiani said:
There's also implied information. Since it's a projectile, you know that the x-components of the velocity vectors at all points are the same since there's no acceleration in the horizontal direction.

sonutulsiani said:

I know, this is not about your Q but more [as a general role] you should know this, as Quincy said the horizontal component of the velocity is always constant, now knowing that the velocity at E> the velocity at D [you know why?] what do you think the answer is true/false?

sonutulsiani said:
For all the following sentences choose True or False:

1. At point F the speed is the greatest? TRUE The lowest point, thus highest speed.

2. At point C the velocity vector has only an horizontal component? TRUE It's at the max height, so Vy is zero

3. At points B and D the velocities are the same? FALSE Different directions

4. At point C the acceleration is zero? FALSE Gravity is always acting on the object

5. The time it takes the particle to get from point A to point C is greater than the time it takes it to get from point C to point F? FALSE Each path is identical

6. The horizontal component of the velocity at point E is the same as the horizontal component of the velocity at point A? TRUE Constant velocity in the x-direction

7. Let →vD , →vE be the velocity vectors at points D and E respectively.
The vector (→vE) − (→vD) is directed vertically downwards? TRUE The Vx would cancel, Vye is greater than Vyd, so it would be downward.
Here is what I got.

That was awesome brother. I understood each and every question. Thanks for providing the reasons also. :)
Peace.

1. Is the trajectory of a projectile a straight line?

No, the trajectory of a projectile is not always a straight line. It depends on the initial velocity, angle of launch, and the effects of air resistance.

2. Is the horizontal velocity of a projectile constant?

Yes, the horizontal velocity of a projectile is constant as long as there is no external force acting on it, such as air resistance.

3. Does the mass of a projectile affect its trajectory?

No, the mass of a projectile does not affect its trajectory. The trajectory is determined by the initial velocity and angle of launch, not the mass of the projectile.

4. Is the trajectory of a projectile affected by the Earth's rotation?

Yes, the trajectory of a projectile is affected by the Earth's rotation, known as the Coriolis effect. This effect is more noticeable for long-range projectiles.

5. Can a projectile have multiple trajectories?

No, a projectile can only have one trajectory at a time. However, if the projectile's velocity or angle of launch is changed, it will follow a different trajectory.