Projectiles, and acceleration problems

In summary, you are in a introductory physics course and you don't understand how to solve these problems. You are having difficulty because you don't know how to approach the problems. You should try to pick one problem and read the problem statement carefully. Then, write down what you know and what is sought for the answer. Determine which motion formula or formulas might be applicable to solving the problem. Plug the known information into the problem and solve. If you still don't know how to solve the problem, then feel free to ask for help in the homework section.
SpiralStars
I'm in a introductory physics course and I don't understand how to solve these problems.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
SpiralStars said:
I'm in a introductory physics course and I don't understand how to solve these problems. Which is making feel very bad about my capabilities. Can you guys help me solve these problems and explain how it's done? These were in spanish so I had to translate them, I hope I made them make sense.

1. ''The time at which an object thrown upward with an initial speed of 25 m / s will be at a maximum height of:''

a. 2.6 seconds
b.4.6 seconds
c.1.0 seconds
d.3.0 seconds 2. ''A rock is dropped from the edge of a cliff and notes that it falls to the ground after 4.2 s . What is the height of the cliff ?

a.90 miles
b. 86.5 m
c.70 inches
d. 95 ft

3. ''A car starts from rest travels 30 m with a constant acceleration of 2 m / s² . Determine the time it takes to travel''.

a. 5.5 s
b. 10 s
c. 2 s
d. 15 s 4. ''A projectile with an initial speed of 40 m / s is thrown at an angle of 0 ° determine how far will fall if the height from which it was launched is 10 m''

a. 40.8 m
b. 57 m
c. 50 m
d. 34 m 5. ''A ball is thrown vertically upward with an initial speed of 22 m / s . Determine the maximum height reached by the ball .''

a. 42 m
b. 25 m
c. 51 m
d. 37 m 6. ''A car traveling at 25 m / s slows the rate of -2.6 m / s² , what distance required to stop completely?''

a. 5.5 s
b. 10 s
c. 2 s
d. 15 s 7 '' A fire hose located near the ground shoots water at a speed of 15 m / s . What range will the jet have if shot out 25.84º ?''

a. 18 m
b 34 m
c. 24 m
d. 10 m

Can someone explain the process to solving these. I have these equations but don't know how to apply them

I'm sorry, but the Rules of PF limit one problem for each HW thread. Also, you must show an attempt at solving a problem before you can receive help.

Flinging a bunch of problems at us with no work shown doesn't help you, and it only complicates trying to figure out where your real difficulty lies. :(

SteamKing said:
I'm sorry, but the Rules of PF limit one problem for each HW thread. Also, you must show an attempt at solving a problem before you can receive help.

Flinging a bunch of problems at us with no work shown doesn't help you, and it only complicates trying to figure out where your real difficulty lies. :(
Sorry didn't knew. The problem is I don't know how to go about solving them, i try and I my mind goes blank. what's the process in solving them?

SpiralStars said:
Sorry didn't knew. The problem is I don't know how to go about solving them, i try and I my mind goes blank. what's the process in solving them?

Pick one problem. Read the problem statement carefully. Write down what you know, and what is sought for the answer. Determine which motion formula or formulas might be applicable to solving the problem. Plug the known information into the problem and solve.

SpiralStars said:
I'm in a introductory physics course and I don't understand how to solve these problems.

SteamKing said:
Pick one problem. Read the problem statement carefully. Write down what you know, and what is sought for the answer. Determine which motion formula or formulas might be applicable to solving the problem. Plug the known information into the problem and solve.

Follow these instructions. Feel free to post here in the homework section, but be aware that we require that the homework template be used. Especially the 'attempt at a solution' part. If you have absolutely no idea where to even begin, and you don't even know what equations you might need to use, then I'm afraid we cannot help you. We cannot teach you a subject from scratch.

Since this thread doesn't meet posting requirements for this area, I'm going to lock it.

1. What is a projectile?

A projectile is any object that is thrown, shot, or launched into the air and moves along a curved or parabolic path due to the force of gravity.

2. How is the trajectory of a projectile determined?

The trajectory of a projectile is determined by its initial velocity, the angle at which it is launched, and the force of gravity acting on it.

3. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which the velocity of an object changes. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

4. How is acceleration related to projectiles?

Acceleration affects the motion of a projectile by constantly changing its velocity. This is due to the force of gravity, which causes the projectile to accelerate downward at a rate of 9.8 m/s².

5. How can we calculate the acceleration of a projectile?

The acceleration of a projectile can be calculated using the formula a = (v - u) / t, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, and t is the time taken for the projectile to travel between the two velocities.