1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectiles: Launch speed and horizontal distance

1. Sep 14, 2011 #1
    New to the forums, just starting a physics 11 course online and having some troubles with formulas.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Projectile shot straight upwards, flight time = 4.70 sec
    Second Launch at 45 degrees (horizontal range approx. 50-60 meters

A) Find Launch Velocity
    B) Find Horizontal Range when shot at 45 degrees

2. Relevant equations

d = vit +1/2gt2

V = - 1/2gt ("made" this one myself from above formula, unsure if correct)

3. The attempt at a solution

Launch velocity

V = - 1/2gt
    g = -9.8m/s
    t = 4.7s

V = -[((1/2(-9.8))(4.7)]
    V = -((-4.9)(4.7))
    V = 23.0 m/s

I have no idea how to calculate the horizontal range, I need a formula that incorperates the 45 degrees

Thanks in advance!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2011 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

You can work from first principles: Calculate the vertical and horizontal components of the launch speed - using sin45 and cos 45 factors.
    The vertical component lets you calculate the flight time, the horizontal component with that time lets you calculate how far away it will land - the range.
    Many Physics texts will have a section where a formula is derived, so you can simply substitute the 23 m/s to get an answer [assuming 23 m/s is correct - it certainly is a reasonable answer]

4. Sep 15, 2011 #3
    How would I do this? I am completly new to this and need a formula with a simple step-by-step guide on how to implement that formula to derive the answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook