1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectiles launched at an angle

1. Dec 16, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A baseball is hit over a 7.5-m-high fence 95 m from the home plate. What was the minimum speed of the ball when it left the bat? Assume the ball was hit 1 m above the ground and its path initially made a 38 degree angle with the ground.

2. Relevant equations

y=v(initial, y direction)t-1/2at^2 x=v(initial, x direction)t

3. The attempt at a solution

t=95/v 95/v(cos38) ? plug 95/v(cos38) into the y equation? and substitute v(sin38) for initial y velocity? This is where I get lost; our teacher wrote all the work on the board very quickly and came up with an answer somehow, but when I did the work I didnt even come close.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2008 #2

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have the following (correct) equation for the height of the ball right when it gets to the fence:

[tex]y=v\sin(38^o)-\frac{1}{2}g\left(\frac{95}{v\cos(38^o)}\right)^2[/tex]

Now how high do you want the ball to be so that it just barely the fence? Plug that in for y and when you solve for v, you'll get the minimum speed.

4. Dec 16, 2008 #3
    Ok but I dont understand how to get v by itself, with the cos38 and sin38 there. And in the equation you wrote is "t" supposed to be in there at all?

5. Dec 16, 2008 #4

hage567

Homework Helper

There is a t missing in the vsin(38) term in that equation. G01 has substituted for t since you can express it in terms of the horizontal distance and horizontal velocity. As already pointed out, you can figure out what y should be from the information given in the problem. So the equation should look like this:

[tex]y=v\sin(38^o)\left(\frac{95}{vcos(38^o)}\right)-\frac{1}{2}g\left(\frac{95}{v\cos(38^o)}\right)^2[/tex]

Now it is just algebra. To isolate v, start by getting the term containing v on its own on one side of the equation (note the v's cancel in the first term!)

6. Dec 16, 2008 #5
    Ok so [95/v(cos38)]^2=[6.5-(tan38)(95)]/-4.9? because sinX/cosX=tanX

7. Dec 16, 2008 #6

hage567

Homework Helper

Looks good so far. What would you do next?

8. Dec 16, 2008 #7
    I solved the right side and got 13.8, which i took the square root of (since the left side was squared) and got 3.7. Then I divided that by 95 and got 25.6. So now v(cos38)=25.6? If it does then I could just say 25.6/cos38=v, so 25.6/.79=32.4?
    I might've rounded too much so it might not be exact, and Im not sure if you can have cosX or sinX by itself?

9. Dec 17, 2008 #8

hage567

Homework Helper

That answer looks OK to me.

10. Dec 18, 2008 #9
    It was thank you! I appreciate the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?