Projection of vectors and scalars

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Red_CCF
Messages
530
Reaction score
0
Hi

I was wondering if someone can explain what projection of vectors and scalars mean. I read a lot of site but they fail to give me a clear explanation. Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Projection of scalars doesn't mean anything, as far as I know. To project one vector, u, on another, v, drop a line perpendicular to from the tip of u to v. The projection of u on v is the vector from the base of v to that point.

To see the reason for the name, imagine that there is a light shining from behind u toward v. The "projection of u on v" is the shadow[/b] of v in exactly the same way a movie film is projected on the screen.