Proof about 6k+5 producing an infinite amount of primes

In summary, Homework statement proves that 6k+5 produces an infinite amount of primes. k is an integer. The Attempt at a Solution shows that when k=1 we see that 6+5=11 and when k=2 we get 12+5=17. So 6k+5 does produce primes. Y is prime to all primes that are 5 mod 6, but a prime of the form 6k+1 would not divide Y.
cragar

Homework Statement

Prove that 6k+5 produces an infinite amount of primes. k is an integer

The Attempt at a Solution

We first observe that 6k+1,6k+3,6k+5 produce all the odd integers.
Next we see that (6k+1)(6k'+1)=6(6kk'+k+k')+1 so the product of integers of the form
(6k+1)(6k'+1)=6k''+1. And we see that 6k+3 is divisible by 3 so it never produces primes.
when k=1 we see that 6+5=11 and when k=2 we get 12+5=17. so we know that
6k+5 does produce primes. Now let [itex]X= p_1,p_2,...p_n [/itex] be the set of all primes
of the form 6k+5. Now we construct [itex]Y= 6(p_1*p_2*...*p_n)+5 [/itex]
Now this new number is bigger than any [itex] p_n [/itex] And let's assume that X is finite. And let's assume 5 is not in X.
But no [itex] p_n [/itex] divides Y so either Y itself is prime or there is a larger prime of the form 6k+5 that divides it. there are an infinite amount of primes of the form 6k+5.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi cragar! :smile:
cragar said:
Now this new number is bigger than any [itex] p_n [/itex] And let's assume that X is finite. And let's assume 5 is not in X.
But no [itex] p_n [/itex] divides Y so either Y itself is prime or there is a larger prime of the form 6k+5 that divides it.

why?? :confused:

why can't there be only prime factors of the form 6k + 1 ? :wink:

ok i see what you are saying, [itex] Y=6(p_1*p_2*p_3...p_n)+5 [/itex]
my [itex] p_{n's} [/itex] could be primes of the form 6k+1 , but a prime of the form 6k+1 would not divide
Y.

cragar said:
ok i see what you are saying, [itex] Y=6(p_1*p_2*p_3...p_n)+5 [/itex]

no I'm not :confused:
my [itex] p_{n's} [/itex] could be primes of the form 6k+1 , but a prime of the form 6k+1 would not divide Y.

yes it could :redface:

(perhaps it may help you to rewrite 6k + 5 as 6K - 1 )

a prime of the form 6k+1 would not divide Y.
tiny-tim said:
yes it could
No, I think you're missing cragar's argument.
Y is clearly not divisible by 2 or 3. If it is also prime to all primes that are 5 mod 6 then it follows that all of its prime factors are 1 mod 6. But cragar has already shown that the primes 1 mod 6 are closed under multiplication, so it must have a factor that is not 1 mod 6.
Where the argument in its current form does break down is that Y is always going to be divisible by 5.

I don't understand why Y is always divisible by 5. I excluded 5 from my [itex] p_n [/itex]
and we need to be careful about numbers of the form (6k+1)(6k'+5)=6(6kk'+5k+k')+5 as tiny tim pointed out.
what I showed is that 6k+5 can't just be composed of factors of the form 6k+1 but it could have factors
(6k+1)(6k'+5). but I still feel that if we include all the primes of the form 6k+1 and 6k'+5 and called those [itex] p_1,p_2...p_n [/itex] and then look at Y no 6k+1 will divide 5. there is still something i am probably missing, thanks for all the help by the way.

Last edited:
cragar said:
I don't understand why Y is always divisible by 5. I excluded 5 from my [itex] p_n [/itex]
Ok, you confused me by writing 'let's assume 5 is not in X', which is clearly false, whereas you meant you were redefining X to exclude 5. But the effect is the same - it creates a hole in the argument.
and we need to be careful about numbers of the form (6k+1)(6k'+5)=6(6kk'+5k+k')+5 as tiny tim pointed out.
Why? 6k'+5 would be in X (unless k'=0), and so by construction cannot be a factor of Y. So the only hole in the argument is that Y might be 5 + 6*5*(6k+1)(6k'+1)... = 5*(1+6*(6k+1)(6k'+1)...). OTOH, may be a difficult hole to plug.

I don't think it would be hard to plug if cragar had written ##Y=6(p_1*p_2*p_3...p_n)-1##. That is not divisible by 5. The equivalence class 6k+5 is the same as the equivalence class 6k-1 mod 6. They aren't the same mod 5. I really don't think cragar understands the proof very well.

1. How can 6k+5 produce an infinite amount of prime numbers?

This is based on a theorem called the prime number theorem, which states that as the value of k increases, the likelihood of 6k+5 being prime also increases. As a result, as k approaches infinity, the number of primes produced by 6k+5 also approaches infinity.

2. Is there any mathematical proof for this claim?

Yes, there is a mathematical proof for this claim. It is based on the Dirichlet's theorem, which states that for any two positive integers a and b that are relatively prime, there are infinitely many primes of the form ak+b. Since 6 and 5 are relatively prime, this theorem can be applied to show that there are infinitely many primes of the form 6k+5.

3. Can you provide an example of a prime number produced by 6k+5?

Yes, an example of a prime number produced by 6k+5 is 11. When k=1, 6k+5=11, which is a prime number. Similarly, when k=2, 6k+5=17, which is also a prime number. This pattern continues for any positive integer value of k.

4. Are there any other patterns or formulas that can produce an infinite amount of primes?

Yes, there are other patterns and formulas that can produce an infinite amount of primes. Some examples include the Euler's prime-generating polynomial and the Mersenne prime formula. However, the proof for the infinite production of primes for 6k+5 is one of the simplest and most elegant proofs.

5. What is the significance of knowing that 6k+5 produces an infinite amount of primes?

The significance of this proof is that it provides a deeper understanding of the distribution of prime numbers. It also has practical applications in fields such as cryptography, where prime numbers are used to create secure codes. Additionally, it showcases the beauty and complexity of mathematics and the power of mathematical proofs in explaining natural phenomena.