1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof about operations on sets

1. Mar 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let the set Ar: r is an element of all real numbers and the set Br: r is an element of all real numbers be two indexed families of sets.

Prove that (upside U r is an element of the reals Ar) U (upside U r is an element of the reals Br) is a subset of upside U r is an element of the reals (ArUBr).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Could someone please give me a hint? I know that Ar and Br have to be unions of each other and at the same they are subsets of the other one, but I don't really know how I would go about proving this.

Thank you much

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's kind of hard to read. But if x is an element of the left hand side, then it's either in all of the A_r or it's in all of the B_r. If x is in the right hand side then it's in either A_r or B_r for all r. Assume each of the conditions on the left and prove they imply the right.

4. Mar 9, 2008 #3
    Thank you very much

Regards

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?