Proof by contradiction - For any integer n, n^2 - 2 is not divisible by 4.

In summary, the homework statement is saying that for any integer n, n2 - 2 is not divisible by 4. The method of proof by contradiction is a way to prove that the sum of k^2 and 2/4 is not an integer.
Greywolfe1982

Homework Statement

Just as the title said, I need to prove:

For any integer n, n2 - 2 is not divisible by 4

by the method of proof by contradiction.

Homework Equations

(Relevant by division into cases)
Even numbers = 2k for some integer k
Odd numbers = 2m+1 for some integer m

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Suppose not
2. For any integer n, n2 -2 is divisible by 4
3. n is either even or odd
4. Case 1 - n is even
5. n=2k for some integer k
6. n2 -2=(2k)2 -2
=4*k2 -2
=4 (k2 - 2/4)

At this point I know where I need to be, just don't know how to justify that I got there. What I'm basically looking for is the opposite of the closure property - some way to prove that the sum of k^2 and 2/4 is not an integer. As far as I can tell, from there, I can safely state that n^2 -2 is not divisible by 4, do the same thing for odd, and conclude that there is no integer for which n^2-2 is divisible by 4. But how do I reach the fact that k^2-2/4 isn't an integer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Greywolfe1982 said:
But how do I reach the fact that k^2-2/4 isn't an integer?
k is an integer, right? So what is k2? And what if you subtract 1/2 from k2's "type", do you get the same type of number or a different one?

Ryker said:
k is an integer, right? So what is k2? And what if you subtract 1/2 from k2's "type", do you get the same type of number or a different one?

Thanks for the reply. Your post helped me find the rule that I think I can justify that k2-2 isn't an integer with. From a list of a rules and properties our class was given...

Discrete Property of Integers - There is no integer between 0 and 1

I'm sure the marking of justifications varies between professors, but do you think a slight rework of this idea would be sufficient reasoning to state k2-1/2 is not an integer?
i.e.

7. k2 is an integer (justified by step 5, closure property of integers)
8. k2-2/4 is not an integer (justified by step 7, discrete property of integers)

Looks good to me. But note that I only looked at your last question, and not the whole proof, seeing as I'm a bit strapped for time. So if someone else sees an error there, please state it, but as far as the question goes, I think your last post (closure under addition (i.e. k + k + k + ... k times), and the discrete property should suffice to justify the final step.

Sounds good, I'll go with that. Thanks for the help.

For any integer n, n2 - 2 is not divisible by 4
3. n is either even or odd
try this:
if n-o is odd n²-2 is odd and then not divisible by any even number
if n-e is even n²-x is divisible by 4 only when x is a multiple of 4

(x²:4 = x* x:4; x² - 2 = [x * x:4] [-2:4=0.5]) n-e²-2 : 4 = k.5)

Last edited:

1. What is the concept of "proof by contradiction"?

Proof by contradiction is a method of mathematical proof in which a statement is shown to be true by assuming that it is false and then arriving at a logical contradiction. This contradiction proves that the statement must be true.

2. How does proof by contradiction apply to the statement "For any integer n, n^2 - 2 is not divisible by 4"?

To prove that the statement is true, we assume that it is false. So, if we assume that n^2 - 2 is divisible by 4, then we can find a contradiction that will prove that the statement is actually true.

3. How do we find a contradiction in this case?

We can find a contradiction by showing that if n^2 - 2 is divisible by 4, then it must also be divisible by 2. However, we know that the only way for a number to be divisible by 2 is if it is even. But if n^2 - 2 is even, then n^2 must also be even. This means that n must be even as well. However, if n is even, then n^2 - 2 must be divisible by 4, which contradicts our initial assumption. Therefore, our assumption must be false and the statement is true.

4. Can proof by contradiction be used for all mathematical statements?

No, proof by contradiction is not the only method of mathematical proof and it may not be applicable to all statements. It is most commonly used for proving theorems and statements about numbers and sets.

5. What are the advantages of using proof by contradiction?

Proof by contradiction can be a powerful tool for proving mathematical statements that may be difficult to prove using other methods. It also allows for a clear and concise explanation of why a statement is true without having to directly prove it.