1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Proof check: S in C Compact implies S is closed and bounded

1. Nov 26, 2016 #1
    [tex] [/tex]I am using Lang's book on complex analysis, i am trying to reprove theorem 4.1 which is a simple theorem:
    Let [tex] Compact(S \in \mathbb{C}) \iff Closed(S) \land Bounded(S)[/tex]
    I will show my attempt on one direction of the proof only, before even trying the other direction.

• Assume S is compact
    • Idea for bounded: Show by contradiction that if S is unbounded then there will be a sequence with no accumulation point in S. (same idea i think of the book, but i don't get his method)
    • Idea for closed: Show that given a boundary point, you could construct a sequence that is in S that converges to that boundary point, and then show it's a point of accumulation of the sequence. Since it's compact then the boundary point is in S, then it's closed.
    The first
    Assume S is compact, but not bounded.
    1. Let the sequence [tex] \{Z_n\} := n |(w)|[/tex], where [tex]w[/tex] is an accumulation point for the set S. We can pick any multiplier we want, since S is unbounded.
    2. Let the set [tex] E:=\{Z_n, Z_n\in Disk(center=w,rad=\epsilon=|w|)\} [/tex]
    3. S is finite since less and less points of Z_n as n grows
    4. A contradiction, so S is bounded
    The second
    Assume S is compact, B a boundary point of S, now i want to create sequence that converges to B, and given it's compact then whatever it converges to is in S.
    1. Let the sequence [tex] \{z_n\}:= \frac{B}{1+\frac{1}{n}} [/tex]
    2. Let the set [tex]E:= \{ z_n | |z_n-B|<\epsilon\}[/tex]
    3. Need to show that the set E is infinite, but i have no idea what to do

Come to think of this, i think both ideas are on the proper track logically, but the execution is terribly shitty, can someone tell me if 1 is right? and how do i show 2.3 given that the prior steps are correct.
    I mean, in the second, how do i know that the sequence, defined as it is, is actually in S.

Where am i going wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2016 #2

Svein

Science Advisor

Since S is compact and it is contained in [itex]\bigcup_{n}(z;\lvert z\rvert <n) [/itex], a finite number of those will cover S. Assume [itex]S\subset\bigcup_{n\leq N}(z;\lvert z\rvert <n )[/itex], then [itex] S\subset(z;\lvert z\rvert <N)[/itex], hence S is bounded.

Closed: Try to show that the complement of S is open...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted