1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Proof derivative of a vector following precession motion

1. Apr 10, 2016 #1
    I do not get some points of this proof about the time derivative of a unit vector $\hat{u}$ (costant magnitude) which is following a precession motion. The picture is the following.

rrrrrrr.png
    I want to prove that $$\frac{d\hat{u}}{dt}=\vec{\Omega}\wedge \hat{u}.$$

I'm ok with almost all the proof except the following points.

Consider the red vector [itex]d\hat{u}[/itex].
    Since [itex]\hat{u}[/itex] has constant magnitude,[itex]d\hat{u}[/itex] must be orthogonal to [itex]\hat{u}[/itex].That's ok.

But why must [itex]d\hat{u}[/itex] be orthogonal to [itex]\vec{\Omega}[/itex] too (i.e. be tangential to a circle orthogonal to [itex]\vec{\Omega})[/itex]?

Secondly how can I geometrically prove that the angle [itex]d\theta[/itex] (the one in purple) that separates [itex]\hat{u}(t)[/itex] and [itex]\hat{u}(t+dt)[/itex] is the same that separates the projection of these two vectors on the circle orthogonal to [itex]\vec{\Omega}[/itex] (the projections are [itex]\hat{u}(t) Sin(\alpha) [/itex]and[itex]\hat{u}(t+dt) Sin(\alpha)[/itex])?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2016 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Define ##\vec v## as the vector from the origin (the lowest point drawn on the diagram) to the centre of the drawn circle, and ##\vec w(t),\vec w(t+dt)## as the two vectors you have drawn from the centre of the circle to its circumference. Then we have ##\vec u(t)=\vec v+\vec w(t)##, and ##\vec u(t+dt)=\vec v+\vec w(t+dt)##.

A bit of geometry shows that the lengths of ##\vec u(t)## and ##\vec u(t+dt)## are the same. Let that length be ##l##. Then ##d\hat u=\hat u(t+dt)-\hat u(t)=\tfrac{1}{l}(\vec u(t+dt)-\vec u)=\tfrac{1}{l}(\vec w(t+dt)-\vec w)##. Both ##\vec w(t+dt)## and ##\vec w## are perpendicular to ##\vec\Omega##, so their difference must be too, by the linearity of the dot product.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted