Proof: Intersection of Subgroups is a Subgroup of H in G

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
playa007
Messages
25
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


If H, K are subgroups of G, show that H intersect K is a subgroup of H

Homework Equations


I know that H intersect K is a subgroup of G; I proved this already but I'm wondering how H intersect K is a subgroup of H

The Attempt at a Solution


I'm quite sure this is true but my idea is based on set theoretic properties and one can't use such properties to apply on subgroups
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you've proved H intersect K is a group, then there is nothing more to prove. H intersect K is contained H and it's a group. Therefore it's a subgroup of H. That's the definition of 'subgroup'.