1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of bijection of a function

1. Apr 3, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a bijection f = (A,B,F)
    Show that f^(-1) (inverse of f) is a bijection from B to A and that for any element x of A we have
    f^(-1)(f(x))=x

3. The attempt at a solution

For this proof can I use contradiction and the say f^(-1) is not a bijection from B to A or there exists an element x of A that f^(-1)(f(x)) != x

If this is what I am supposed to prove. How would I go about doing it? If not what proof method should I use?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2014 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

To show that ##f^{-1}## is a bijection, you need to show three things:
    (1) ##f^{-1}## is a function. This is not necessarily true for a general ##f##. For example, if ##f : \mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}## is defined by ##f(x) = x^2##, and ##y > 0##, then ##f^{-1}(y)## is a set containing two distinct elements: ##\sqrt{y}## and ##-\sqrt{y}##.
    (2) ##f^{-1}## is an injection, meaning that if ##f^{-1}(y_1) = f^{-1}(y_2)##, then ##y_1 = y_2##.
    (3) ##f^{-1}## is a surjection, meaning that if ##x## is in the codomain of ##f^{-1}##, then ##x = f^{-1}(y)## for some ##y## in the domain of ##f^{-1}##.

4. Apr 3, 2014 #3
    alright I got it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted