1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of continuous. f(x+y)=f(x)+f(y)

1. Dec 3, 2008 #1
    Let f be a real-valued function on R satisfying f(x+y)=f(x)+f(y) for all x,y in R.

If f is continuous at some p in R, prove that f is continuous at every point of R.

Proof: Suppose f(x) is continuous at p in R. Let p in R and e>0. Since f(x) is continuous at p we can say that for all e>0, there exists a d>0 such that if 0<|x-p|<d implies that |f(x)-f(p)|< e/2.

I know that |f(x)-f(y)| = |f(x)-f(p)+f(p)-f(y)| <= |f(x)-f(p)|+|f(y)-f(p)|.

I also know that |x-y|=|(x-y+p)-p| <= |x-p|+|y-p|.

Help: I am confused on how to show that f is cont. at every point in R. I appreciate any help little or big! Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2008 #2
    So if |x - y| < d, then |(x - y + p) + p| < d. Then...

Now use the fact that f(x + y) = f(x) + f(y).

4. Dec 4, 2008 #3
    Let f be a real-valued function on R satisfying f(x+y)=f(x)+f(y) for all x,y in R.

If f is continuous at some p in R, prove that f is continuous at every point of R.

Proof: Suppose f(x) is continuous at p in R. Since f(x) is continuous at p we can say that for all e>0, there exists a d>0 such that if 0<|x-p|<d implies that |f(x)-f(p)|< e.

Let y be a real number and fix 0<|x-y|<d.
    Then |(x-y+p)-p|<d
    So |f(x-y+p)-f(p)|<e.
    or in other words, |f(x-y)+f(p)-f(p)|<e.
    or, |f(x)-f(y)|<e.

I have a concern that I used f(x-y)=f(x)-f(y). Does this work because f(-y)= -f(y) ?

I also changed my e/2 into just e.
    I also included a "let" before the manipulating.

Does this look better? I appreciate the help mutton.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  5. Dec 4, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You don't need to go back to the basic definition of limit. A function, f, is continuous at x= a if and only if:
    f(a) is defined
    [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow a} f(x)[/itex] is defined
    [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow a} f(x)= f(a)[/itex]

Suppose f is continuous at x= a. Then [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow a} f(x)= f(a)[/itex]

Let h= x- a. Then x= a+ h and as x goes to a, h goes to 0:
    [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow a} f(x)=\lim_{h\rightarrow 0} f(a+ h)= \lim{h\rightarrow 0}f(a)+ f(h)[/itex]

What does that tell you about f at x= 0?
    (It is important to recognize that if f(x+ y)= f(x)+ f(y), then f(x)= f(x+ 0)= f(x)+ f(0) so f(0)= 0.)

Now let b be any other value and go the opposite way.

6. Dec 4, 2008 #5
    It works because f(x) = f(x - y + y) = f(x - y) + f(y).

But what you say is also true because f(-y) = f(0 - y) = f(0) - f(y) = -f(y), as HallsofIvy showed that f(0) = 0.

7. Oct 18, 2009 #6

DDW

I was just wondering what you meant by "let b be any other value and go the opposite way."
    do you mean let h=x+b?
    Thanks.

8. Oct 18, 2009 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Actually, h= x- b. If b is any real number, then then [itex]\lim_{x\to b} f(x)= \lim_{h\to 0}f(b+ x)[/itex][itex]= \lim_{h\to 0}f(b)[/itex][itex]+ \lim_{h\to 0}f(h)[/itex][itex]= f(b)+ \lim_{h\to 0}f(h)= f(b)[/itex].

9. Oct 18, 2009 #8

DDW

Thanks!

10. Sep 26, 2010 #9
    What is the exact difference between the h = x-a and h =x-b step? What is the point of doing both steps?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?