Proof of derivative of determinant

In summary, Ian struggled with understanding the homework statement and the determinant, but was able to find the derivative of the functions using the product rule and the Leibniz formula.
unfunf22

Homework Statement

Given n2 functions fij, each differentiable on an interval (a,b), define F(x) = det[fij] for each x in (a,b). Prove that the derivative F'(x) is the sum of the n determinants, F'(x) = [tex]\sum_{i=0}^n det(Ai(x))$.[/tex] where Ai(x) is the matrix obtained by differentiating the functions in the ith row of [fij(x)].

Homework Equations

To be honest I'm not completely sure what equations would be useful in this proof. I cannot get a good intuition on it.

I suppose Leibniz formula could be handy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leibniz_formula_for_determinants

Expansion by minors might be useful as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laplace_expansion

However, that is as far as my intuition will take me.

The Attempt at a Solution

This has been more of a sit and think process than a pen to paper one. I understand what I am supposed to do, but I have not the slightest idea what my intuition to this proof should be. I can't see how the determinant of the matrix would look (since I cannot diagonalize it or anything to make the determinant easy to calculate). I'm not very strong in my understanding of the Leibniz formula for determinants. I understand the idea behind minor's a bit better (delete i-row,j-column and take determinant of what is left). If I could get a feel for what the determinant of [fij(x)] would look like I might be able to see why the derivative would look like F'(x) = [tex]\sum_{i=0}^n det(Ai(x))$.[/tex]

I just need some intuition here, basically, and perhaps a good explanation of the weapons in my arsenal that would help me do this proof.

-Ian

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about writing out the determinant as summing over every possible term [tex] \Pi f_{ij}[/tex] where no pair of fij is from the same row or column. Then think about the product rule

So you are saying use leibniz and match its behavior to that of the product rule? Is there not a way to do this inductively?

I guess you can. If you expand by minors along a row, take the derivative of that, and then use your inductive step to find the derivative of the minors

Alright. Well I am using Leibniz to informally argue it at the moment. I'll see if that pans out.

I was able to prove it thanks to the general formula for the product rule of n functions. Thanks!

What is the proof of the derivative of a determinant?

The proof of the derivative of a determinant involves using the definition of a derivative and the properties of determinants, such as linearity and the use of minors and cofactors.

Why is the proof of the derivative of a determinant important?

The proof of the derivative of a determinant is important because it allows us to find the derivatives of functions involving determinants, which are commonly used in areas such as linear algebra, differential equations, and optimization problems.

What are the steps involved in proving the derivative of a determinant?

The steps involved in proving the derivative of a determinant include using the definition of a derivative, expanding the determinant using minors and cofactors, and applying the properties of determinants to simplify the expression.

Is the proof of the derivative of a determinant difficult to understand?

The proof of the derivative of a determinant can be challenging to understand for those who are new to the concept of determinants and their properties. However, with practice and a solid understanding of linear algebra, it can become easier to grasp.

Are there any real-world applications of the proof of the derivative of a determinant?

Yes, the proof of the derivative of a determinant has practical applications in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. For example, it is used in the calculation of elasticity of demand in economics and in the analysis of mechanical systems in physics.