Why is my calculation for the determinant of a matrix incorrect?

• Thread starter ver_mathstats
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Determinant
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the determinant of a constant multiplied by a matrix, and how this can be solved using relevant properties from the wiki article on determinants. The final answer is -162/5.
ver_mathstats
Homework Statement
A=[a b c; d e f; g h i]

Suppose that det(A) = −5. Let B be another 3 × 3 matrix (not given here) with det(B) = 6. Find the determinant of each of the following matrices.

I found it for the other ones in the question except for:

What is the determinant of D=3(A^-1)(B^T)?
Relevant Equations
D=3(A^-1)(B^T)
I assumed that my calculation would be 3(-5^-1)(6) and I got the answer -18/5, however this is incorrect, I am unsure of where I am going wrong. I thought the determinant of a matrix is equal to the determinant of the transpose of the matrix so det(B)=6 would also be det(B^T)=6?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the determinant of kA if A is a matrix and k s a constant?

ver_mathstats said:
Relevant Equations D=3(A^-1)(B^T)
What you wrote for a relevant equation isn't really relevant -- it's part of the problem statement.
Some equations that are relevant are shown in this wiki article, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Determinant, in the Properties of the determinant section. The 2nd, 3rd, and 5th properties are especially relevant to your question.

Orodruin said:
What is the determinant of kA if A is a matrix and k s a constant?
Thank you for the reply, det(cA)=(c^n)det(A), I didn't realize this was the case, I ended up with the answer -162/5.

Likes WWGD
Mark44 said:
What you wrote for a relevant equation isn't really relevant -- it's part of the problem statement.
Some equations that are relevant are shown in this wiki article, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Determinant, in the Properties of the determinant section. The 2nd, 3rd, and 5th properties are especially relevant to your question.
Thank you for the reply, I used the properties, and realized where I went wrong, my answer is -162/5.

ver_mathstats said:
Thank you for the reply, det(cA)=(c^n)det(A), I didn't realize this was the case, I ended up with the answer -162/5.

It isn't needed but another way to remember this is we are dealing with n x n matrices here and determinants multiply so

##\det\big(c\mathbf A\big) = \det\big(c\mathbf I\mathbf A\big) = \det\big(c\mathbf I\big) \det\big(\mathbf A\big) = c^n \cdot \det\big(\mathbf A\big)##

where ##\det\big(c\mathbf I\big) ## is easy because it is a diagonal matrix with c on the diagonal -- the determinant of a diagonal matrix is always just the product of the diagonal components.

StoneTemplePython said:
It isn't needed but another way to remember this is we are dealing with n x n matrices here and determinants multiply so

##\det\big(c\mathbf A\big) = \det\big(c\mathbf I\mathbf A\big) = \det\big(c\mathbf I\big) \det\big(\mathbf A\big) = c^n \cdot \det\big(\mathbf A\big)##

where ##\det\big(c\mathbf I\big) ## is easy because it is a diagonal matrix with c on the diagonal -- the determinant of a diagonal matrix is always just the product of the diagonal components.
In fact, I often think of constants multiplying matrices as a diagonal matrix with all diagonal elements equal to that constant.

1. Why is my calculation for the determinant of a matrix incorrect?

There could be several reasons for an incorrect calculation of the determinant of a matrix. Some possible reasons include using the wrong formula, making a mistake in the calculation, or using a matrix that is not square.

2. How can I check if my calculation for the determinant of a matrix is correct?

One way to check the accuracy of your calculation is by using a different method to calculate the determinant, such as using cofactor expansion or using a calculator. If the results match, then your calculation is likely correct.

3. Can rounding errors affect the calculation of the determinant of a matrix?

Yes, rounding errors can affect the calculation of the determinant of a matrix. This is especially true for large matrices with many decimal places. It is important to use a calculator or computer program that can handle and display a sufficient number of decimal places to minimize rounding errors.

4. Is there a specific order in which I should perform operations when calculating the determinant of a matrix?

Yes, there is a specific order in which operations should be performed when calculating the determinant of a matrix. Generally, it is recommended to use a method such as cofactor expansion or Gaussian elimination to simplify the matrix before calculating the determinant. This can help reduce the chances of making a mistake in the calculation.

5. Can I use a calculator to calculate the determinant of a matrix?

Yes, you can use a calculator to calculate the determinant of a matrix. However, it is important to make sure that the calculator has the capability to handle matrices and perform the necessary operations for calculating the determinant. Additionally, it is always a good idea to double-check the results by using a different method or calculator.