Proof of Divergence for Series (2n+3)!/(n!)^2 - Limit Test or Comparison Test?

  • Thread starter Thread starter talk2glenn
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Divergence Proof
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
talk2glenn

Homework Statement



Decide whether the series below is absolutely convergent, conditionally convergent, or divergent:

[tex]\sum_{1}^{\infty}(2n+3)!/(n!)^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



By graphing the equation, I am confident that the series is divergent, but I don't know how to prove it. I cannot do the algebraic manipulation for a ratio test, assuming it is even possible, and none of the other tests seem applicable. Since it's apparently going to be divergent, I can't to a comparison test.

That leaves either a straight limit test, or a limit comparison test. Unfortunately, it looks to me like the limit converges to zero. Factorial is stronger than the power function, but how can I prove factorial squared is weaker than a larger factorial in the numerator?

Thanks :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The series diverges by the ratio test. Can you show what you've done using the ratio test?
 
I can try...

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}(2n+5)!/((n+1)!)^2 * (n!)^2/(2n+3)![/tex]

If we expand and simplify [(n+1)!]^2, we get n!(n+1)n!(n+1)

Cancel the two n! in the numerator and denominator to get...

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}(2n+5)!/[(n+1)^2(2n+3)!][/tex]

I can't further simplify this expression, or pove that it is greater than 1.

Is this the right track?
 
So far so good.

Hint: [itex](2n+5)! = (2n+5)(2n+4)(2n+3)![/itex]
 
Yeah I'm dumb...

So canceling the common factorials gives us...

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}(2n+5)(2n+4)/(n+1)(n+1)[/tex]

Expand and approximate using leading coefficients to get...

[tex]\approx 4n^2/n^2[/tex]

Which converges to 4/1 > 1 at the limit, so divergent. I think this is correct now.

Thank you so much!