How to prove X·X is non-negative and X·X = 0 implies X = 0

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
newtomath
Messages
37
Reaction score
0
If X is an N vector, is it 1) possible for X*X to be negative? 2) if x*x=0, what is X.

I am having trouble writing the proper proof. for 1 I stated that it is impossible for X*X to be negative bc if x is positive, X*X is positive and if x is negative, -X*-X is still positive.

for 2 I stated the properties of multiplication; in order for a product to = 0 one of the components must be 0.

Can someone advise on the proper method for writing these proofs?

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What is X.X in terms of the components of X?
 
Not sure what youare asking, but X*X is the dot product of X. X is an arbitrary vector.
 
X is a vector, it has components. I.e. X=(x1,x2,...,xn). What's X.X in terms of the components, the little x's?
 
I think Dick is asking you to examine how the dot product is caclulated in terms of the components of the vector.

Say X = (x1, x2, .. ,xn)^T

How do you calculate the dot product X*X in terms of the xi's?
 
X= ( X1, X2, X3)
the dot product should be X1^2+X2^2 +X3^2. Squares can't be negative.


if X1^2+X2^2 +X3^2 =0 then X1 X2 and X3 must be zero

Is this all there is to it?
 
though you should generalise it to the n dimensional case rather than just 3