Proof of exp(a)exp(b) = exp(a+b)exp(1/2 [a,b])

• Thread starter asantas93
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation discusses the operators a and b that commute with their commutator, and the proof that f(x) = exaexb satisfies the differential equation df/dx = (a + b + x[a,b])f. The second part of the conversation uses this proof to show that eaeb = ea+be(1/2)[a,b] by differentiating with respect to x and setting x=1. This is an example of a "BCH" relation (Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff) and is a useful trick for finding relations between exponentials of bounded operators.
asantas93

Homework Statement

a, b are operators that commute with their commutator

(1) Show that f(x) = exaexb satisfies df/dx = (a + b + x[a,b])f

(2) use (1) to show that eaeb = ea+be(1/2)[a,b]

Homework Equations

[a,[b,a]] = [b,[b,a]] = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried a Taylor expansion but just got a mess.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you get part (1)?

If so, the strategy is to slip an x into the exponent of the object in (2) and then differentiate it with respect to x. You should find that the object in (2) satisfies the same differential equation, with the same boundary condition, as the object in (1). It's therefore the same object. Then at the end you just set x=1 to get the answer.

Btw this is an example of a "BCH" relation (Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff) and if you search around for that you should find loads of stuff.

This is not an exercise about Taylor series, it's simply a neat trick to get a useful relation between exponentials of particular bounded operators.

Thanks, knowing the name of this sort of equation helped me find a proof.

I would approach this problem by first understanding the definitions and properties of the operators a and b. I would also look at the properties of the exponential operator, exp(x), which is defined as the infinite sum of x^n/n! and has the property that d/dx(exp(x)) = exp(x).

To solve part (1), I would start with the definition of f(x) = exp(xa)exp(xb) and use the product rule to calculate df/dx. Using the definition of the exponential operator and the commutativity of a and b, I would then manipulate the expression to get (a + b + x[a,b])f. This shows that f(x) satisfies the desired differential equation.

For part (2), I would use the result from part (1) to write eaeb = exp(a)exp(b) = exp(a+b)(1/2)[a,b]. This can be simplified using the definition of the exponential operator and the commutativity of a and b to get eaeb = ea+be(1/2)[a,b]. This proves the desired result.

In conclusion, the proof relies on understanding the definitions and properties of the operators and using them to manipulate the expressions to get the desired results. It is also important to use the properties of the exponential operator to simplify the expressions.

1. How is the proof of exp(a)exp(b) = exp(a+b)exp(1/2 [a,b]) derived?

The proof of this identity can be derived using the properties of exponential functions and the definition of the Lie bracket in Lie algebra. It involves using the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula, which is a powerful tool in the study of Lie groups and algebras.

2. What is the significance of this proof in mathematics?

This proof is significant because it shows the connection between the exponential function and the Lie bracket, which is a fundamental concept in the study of Lie groups and algebras. It also provides a useful tool for simplifying calculations involving exponential functions and Lie brackets.

3. Can this proof be applied in other areas of science?

Yes, this proof has applications in various areas of science, including physics, engineering, and computer science. It is particularly useful in studying systems with continuous symmetries, such as in quantum mechanics and fluid dynamics.

4. Are there any limitations to this proof?

While this proof holds for Lie groups and algebras, it may not hold for all types of exponential functions and Lie brackets. Additionally, the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula can become quite complex for higher order Lie brackets, making the proof more difficult to apply.

5. How can this proof be used in practical applications?

This proof can be used in practical applications to simplify calculations involving exponential functions and Lie brackets. It can also provide insights into the behavior of systems with continuous symmetries and aid in the development of mathematical models in various scientific fields.