1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Proof of sums of linear transformations

1. Jan 28, 2010 #1
    Given linear transformations S: Rn --> Rm and T: Rn --> Rm, show the following:
    a) S+T is a linear transformation
    b) cS is a linear transformation

I know that since both S and T are linear transformations on their own, they satisfy the properties for being a linear transformation, which is that for some transformation T, T(x+y)=T(x) + T(y), and T(cx)=cT(x). So I tried doing the same sort of procedure for the sum of the transformations, so that (S+T)(x)=S(x) + T(x) and S(cx)=cS(x). This just doesn't seem like a very intricate way of proving the sums of linear transformations is a linear transformation and that a scalar multiplied by a linear transformation is a linear transformation.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2010 #2

radou

Homework Helper

Why not? You defined (S+T)(x) = S(x) + T(x). Now you only need to check if S+T is a linear transformation, i.e. that for all x, y and [tex]\alpha[/tex], [tex]\beta[/tex] , (S+T)([tex]\alpha[/tex]x+[tex]\beta[/tex]y)=[tex]\alpha[/tex](S+T)(x) + [tex]\beta[/tex](S+T)(y) holds.

4. Jan 28, 2010 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

There is no requirement that proofs be "intricate"!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook