Proof on a property of Riemann integrals

In summary, we use the properties of upper and lower sums and integrals to prove that if a function f is continuous on [a,b] and f(x) is greater than or equal to 0 for all x in [a,b], and if there exists a point c in [a,b] such that f(c) is greater than 0, then the integral of f from a to b is also greater than 0. By using the definitions of upper and lower sums and integrals, we can show that the lower integral of f must also be greater than 0, which implies that the integral of f from a to b is also greater than 0.
kidmode01

Homework Statement

Let f be continuous on [a,b] and suppose that [tex] f(x) \geq 0 [/tex] for all x Є [a,b]
Prove that if there exists a point c Є [a,b] such that [tex] f(c) > 0 [/tex], then

[tex] \int_{a}^{b} f > 0 [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Using my books notation,

Suppose P = {x0,x1,...,xn} is a partition of [a,b]. For each i = 1,...,n we let:
[tex] M_i(f) = sup\{f(x) : x \epsilon [x_{i-1},x_i]\} [/tex]
[tex] m_i(f) = inf\{f(x) : x \epsilon [x_{i-1},x_i]\} [/tex]

The upper sum of f with respect to P: U(f,P)
The lower sum of f with respect to P: L(f,P)

The upper integral of f on [a,b]: U(f) = inf{ U(f,P) : P is a partition of [a,b] }
The lower integral of f on [a,b]: L(f) = sup{ L(f,P) : P is a partition of [a,b] }

Suppose there exists a c Є [a,b] such that f(c) > 0 then
there exists a [tex] m_i(f) > 0 [/tex]
thus L(f,P) > 0

but then L(f) > 0, but since f is Riemann integrable:

[tex] 0 < L(f) = U(f) = \int_{a}^{b} f [/tex]

I know I'm kinda leaving out some details but is the outline alright? I have a feeling it's wrong since it was really short...

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks pretty decent to me.

I should also include:

[tex] \Delta x_i = x_i - x_{i-1} [/tex]

[tex] U(f,P) = \sum_{i=1}^n M_i \Delta x_i [/tex]
[tex] L(f,P) = \sum_{i=1}^n m_i \Delta x_i [/tex]

What is a Riemann integral?

A Riemann integral is a type of definite integral that is used to calculate the area under a curve. It is named after the mathematician Bernhard Riemann and is an important concept in calculus and real analysis.

What is the property of Riemann integrals?

The property of Riemann integrals is that they can be used to approximate the area under a curve by dividing it into smaller rectangles. As the number of rectangles increases, the approximation becomes more accurate.

How is the Riemann integral calculated?

The Riemann integral is calculated by taking the limit of a sum of rectangles, where the width of each rectangle approaches zero. This process is known as the Riemann sum, and it is represented by the notation ∫ f(x) dx.

What is the difference between Riemann integrals and other types of integrals?

Riemann integrals are a specific type of definite integral, whereas other types of integrals, such as Lebesgue integrals, have slightly different properties and definitions. Riemann integrals are often used in introductory calculus courses, while other types of integrals are used in more advanced mathematics.

What are some applications of Riemann integrals?

Riemann integrals have many practical applications, such as calculating the area under a curve, finding the volume of a solid, and calculating work done by a variable force. They are also used in physics, engineering, and economics to solve real-world problems.