1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof on Sequences: Sum of a convergent and divergent diverges

1. Oct 10, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove if sequence [itex]a_{n}[/itex] converges and sequence [itex]b_{n}[/itex] diverges, then the sequence [itex]a_{n}[/itex]+[itex]b_{n}[/itex] also diverges.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

My professor recommended a proof by contradiction. That is, suppose [itex]a_{n}[/itex]+[itex]b_{n}[/itex] does converge. Then, for every ε > 0, there exists a natural number [itex]N_{1}[/itex] so that n > [itex]N_{1}[/itex] implies |[itex]a_{n}[/itex]+[itex]b_{n}[/itex] - L|< ε

We already know there exists [itex]N_{2}[/itex] so that n > [itex]N_{2}[/itex] implies |[itex]a_{n}[/itex] - M| < ε. So let N = max{[itex]N_{1}[/itex], [itex]N_{2}[/itex]}. Then n > N means we know [itex]a_{n}[/itex] is "very close" to M. My purpose in this is to try and show that this implies [itex]b_{n}[/itex] has a limit (that is, it converges) providing a contradiction. However, I'm not sure how to go about this.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's the general idea !

Rewrite [itex]\left|a_n+b_n-L\right|[/itex] as [itex]\left|a_n-M+b_n-(L-M)\right|\,,[/itex] then use the triangle inequality.

4. Oct 10, 2011 #3
    Ah! I think I've got it.

Proof: Assume [itex]a_{n}[/itex] is convergent and [itex]b_{n}[/itex] is divergent.

Now suppose that [itex]a_{n}[/itex]+[itex]b_{n}[/itex] is convergent.
    Then [for every ε > 0 there exists a natural number [itex]N_{1}[/itex] so that
    n > [itex]N_{1}[/itex] implies |[itex]a_{n}[/itex]+[itex]b_{n}[/itex] - L|< ε/2

We know by our assumption that there also exists natural number [itex]N_{2}[/itex] so that
    n > [itex]N_{2}[/itex] implies |[itex]a_{n}[/itex]-M| < ε/2

Now let N = max{[itex]N_{1}[/itex],[itex]N_{2}[/itex]}
    Then n > N implies
    |[itex]a_{n}[/itex]+[itex]b_{n}[/itex] - L|< ε/2 and
    |[itex]a_{n}[/itex]-M| < ε/2
    So |[itex]a_{n}[/itex]+[itex]b_{n}[/itex] - L|+ |-([itex]a_{n}[/itex]-M)| < ε
    and |[itex]a_{n}[/itex]+[itex]b_{n}[/itex] - [itex]a_{n}[/itex] - (L-M)| < ε
    (by the triangle inequality)
    But [itex]a_{n}[/itex]+[itex]b_{n}[/itex] - [itex]a_{n}[/itex] = [itex]b_{n}[/itex]
    so this last statement implies |[itex]b_{n}[/itex] - (L-M)| < ε
    which implies [itex]b_{n}[/itex] converges, which is a contradiction
    Therefore, [itex]a_{n}[/itex]+[itex]b_{n}[/itex] diverges

5. Oct 10, 2011 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Make it clear that by the triangle ineq. [itex]\left|a_n+b_n-L-a_n+M\right|\le\left|a_n+b_n-L\right|+\left|-a_n+M\right|<\varepsilon[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?