1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof showing that if F is an antiderivative of f, then f must be continuous.

1. Oct 26, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that if F is an antiderivative of f on [a,b] and c is in (a,b), then f cannot have a jump or removable discontinuity at c. Hint: assume that it does and show that either F'(c) does not exist or F'(c) does not equal f(c).

2. The attempt at a solution
    I attempted a proof by contradiction where I said that for the sake of contradiction we should let f have a discontinuity at point c, and I would like to use this to prove that F'(c) doesn't exist, but I'm not quite sure how a discontinuity on f affects F given that f is the derivative of F.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2014 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I haven't worked your problem out, but since you don't see how a discontinuity in ##f## affects ##F##, I would suggest you try some examples. For example look at what happens if ##f(x)=0,~0\le x\le \frac 1 2## and ##f(x) = 1,~\frac 1 2 < x \le 1##. What does ##F## look like in that case? That might give you some ideas.

4. Oct 27, 2014 #3
    If I'm interpreting the problem correctly, it is basically saying the following:

Assume ##F## is continuous on ##[a,b]## and differentiable on ##(a,b)## with ##f=F'##. Show that ##f## has no jump or removable discontinuities on ##(a,b)##.

The "jump or removable" part of the problem is essential. Derivatives can be discontinuous; look at the function $$f(x)=
    \begin{cases}
    x^2\sin\frac{1}{x} & x\neq 0\\ 0 & x=0\end{cases}$$
    The function is differentiable everywhere, but the derivative is not continuous at ##0##.

I would focus on one-sided limits of the derivative if I were you; i.e. show that if ##c\in (a,b)## and ##\lim\limits_{x\rightarrow c^\pm}f'(x)## exists, then ##\lim\limits_{x\rightarrow c^\pm}f'(x)=f'(c)##. That's the essence of what distinguishes the jump/removable discontinuities from the less "tame" kinds; the (one-sided) limit exists, but isn't equal to the value of the function.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted