1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof that HK is hermitian operator only if HK=KH

1. May 2, 2013 #1
    Let [itex]H[/itex] and [itex]K[/itex] be hermitian operators on vector space [itex]U[/itex]. Show that operator [itex]HK[/itex] is hermitian if and only if [itex]HK=KH[/itex].

I tried some things but I don't know if it is ok. Can somebody please check? I got a hint on this forum that statements type "if only if" require proof in both directions, so here is how it goes:

1.)Lets say that [itex]HK[/itex] is hermitian, than [itex]HK=(HK)^{*}=K^{*}H^{*}[/itex]. But [itex]H[/itex] and [itex]K[/itex] are also hermitian, therefore [itex]K^{*}H^{*}=KH[/itex] so [itex]HK=KH[/itex] proof finished in one direction. (do you say direction or do you say way or what do you say in english? o_O)

2.) Now lets say that [itex]HK=KH[/itex]. Since [itex]H[/itex] and [itex]K[/itex] are hermitian: [itex]KH=K^{*}H^{*}=(HK)^{*}=HK[/itex] (last equality comes from the statement at the beginning thah [itex]KH=HK[/itex]). But if [itex](HK)^{*}=HK[/itex] than [itex]HK[/itex] is hermitian.

proof finished.

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2013 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

That's completely correct!!

And yes, direction is the right word.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted