1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Proof that there is a solution to f(x)=x

1. Feb 27, 2010 #1
    This is my first analysis class and I'm really confused. My attempt may not make much sense because I just followed an example in my book, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose that f: R -> R is continuous and that its image f(R) is bounded. Prove that there is a solution of the equation f(x) = x, x in R.

2. Relevant equations
    Intermediate Value Theorem.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Assume there is a solution to the function f. Observe that f(-1)<0 and f(1)>0. Since f is a continuous function, by applying the Intermediate Value Theorem to the restriction f:[-1,1] -> R, we can conclude that the point x0 in the open interval (-1,1) is a solution of the function f.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2010 #2
    I think you've misunderstood the question. You're trying to find a fixed point, which is basically a point such that f(x) = x, where x is in the domain of some function f. This means that your function is not the identity function f where f(x) = x, but rather all you are told is that f is continuous and f(R) is bounded and for all such functions you need to show that f(x) = x for at least one x. Does that make sense?

Also, you can't start your proof with assuming a solution exists. You need to actually use a theorem, such as the intermediate value theorem, to demonstrate existence. My advice would be to confine yourself to the domain [0,1], draw some continuous function, and see why your function must have a point where f(x) = x.

4. Feb 27, 2010 #3
    Define a new function as f(x) - x and then try using the IVT.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook