Proof through Induction with Inequality

In summary: I'm not sure if that's legit.In summary, the homework statement is proven true for all smaller values of n, and the proof resembles a proof.
MitsuZero

Homework Statement

Original Problem Text:
http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/5882/problem3pn7.th.gif

Prove that, if n [tex]\in[/tex] [tex]N[/tex] and n [tex]\geq[/tex] 2, then 2^(n^2) > n^(n).

Homework Equations

Some Hints:
*** (n-1)^(n-1) * 2^(n-1) = (2n - 2)^(n-1)
*** If n >= 2 then (2n - 2) >= n.
*** If n >= 1 then 2^(n) >= n.

The Attempt at a Solution

Using Induction:

For the base step, suppose that n = 2. This implies that 2^(2^2) = 16, and 2^(2)= 4, and 16 > 4, so the base step is proven true.
Suppose that n>2, and that the theorem has been proven for all smaller values of n.

Then we compute:
2^(n^2) > n^n
2^(n-1)^2 > (n-1)^(n-1)
***Multiply both sides by 2^(n-1)***
2^(n-1)^2 * 2^(n-1) > (n-1)^(n-1) * 2^(n-1)
2^(n-1)^2 * 2^(n-1) = 2^(n^2 - n) = 2^(n(n-1))
2^(n(n-1)) > (2n -2)^(n-1)
***Now here's the screwy part - I took the (n-1) root across the inequality. I have my doubts about the mathematical legality of such an operation. ***
2^(n) > 2n - 2
2n -2 [tex]\geq[/tex] n (since n [tex]\geq[/tex] 2)
2^(n) > n
2^(n^2) > n^(2)

Does this proof make any sense at all? Does it even remotely resemble a proof? I should point out that I'm using (n-1) in place of (n+1) because that's the way my professor did it.

Thanks a lot for any help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'd try to use all hints they gave; they are usually given for a reason.

I believe I used just about all the hints my professor gave. Though whether I used them correctly is questionable.

For the first hint I multiplied both sides by 2^(n-1) in order to fit the form he gave -- i.e.
2^(n-1)^2 * 2^(n-1) > (n-1)^(n-1) * 2^(n-1)

For the second hint, I got rid of the (n-1) power on both sides (which itself is a questionable move), which gave the form:
2^(n) > 2n - 2

And finally, for the third hint, I related 2n - 2 > n to 2^(n) > 2n -2 > n.

Thanks again.

You are starting with the correct premise but not ending up with 2^(n^2) > n^(n)

It seems that we can do this without induction, using only the third hint since ...

[tex]2^{n^2} = 2^{n\times n} = (2^n)^n[/tex]

It also seems to work for the case [itex]n = 1[/itex]

1. What is proof through induction with inequality?

Proof through induction with inequality is a mathematical technique used to prove that a statement or proposition is true for all natural numbers greater than or equal to a certain starting point. It involves breaking the statement down into smaller cases and proving it for each of these cases, thus showing that it holds true for all possible cases.

2. How does proof through induction with inequality differ from regular induction?

The main difference between proof through induction with inequality and regular induction is the use of an inequality instead of an equality. In regular induction, the statement must be proven for the next natural number by assuming it holds true for the previous number. In proof through induction with inequality, the statement must be proven for all numbers greater than or equal to a certain starting point, without relying on previous numbers.

3. What are the steps involved in a proof through induction with inequality?

The steps involved in a proof through induction with inequality are:
1. Base case: Prove the statement for the starting point, usually n = 0 or n = 1.
2. Inductive hypothesis: Assume that the statement holds true for all numbers up to some arbitrary value k.
3. Inductive step: Use the inductive hypothesis to prove that the statement holds true for the next number, k+1.
4. Conclusion: By the principle of mathematical induction, the statement must hold true for all natural numbers greater than or equal to the starting point.

4. When is proof through induction with inequality used?

Proof through induction with inequality is commonly used in mathematics to prove statements involving inequalities, such as inequalities between real numbers, sequences, functions, and sets. It is also used in computer science to prove the correctness of algorithms and data structures.

5. What are the limitations of proof through induction with inequality?

Proof through induction with inequality can only be used to prove statements that hold true for all natural numbers greater than or equal to a certain starting point. It cannot be used to prove statements that involve irrational numbers, negative numbers, or complex numbers. It also cannot be used to prove statements that do not follow a specific pattern or sequence.