Proof Two Primitive Root Conditions Are Equivalent

In summary, the two conditions for a number to be a primitive root modulo n are: (i) the order of the number is equal to phi(n) and (ii) for every element b that is relatively prime to n, there exists a nonnegative integer j such that b is congruent to a^j mod n. To prove that (i) implies (ii), we need to show that the numbers a^0, a^1, ..., a^(phi(n)-1) must lie in distinct congruence classes modulo n. This is because if they didn't, then there would be two numbers a^i and a^j that are congruent modulo n, where 0 <= i < j <= phi(n
golmschenk

Homework Statement

Let n be a nonzero integer and let a be an integer with gcd(a, n) = 1. We have two equivalent conditions which characterize primitive roots:
(i) a is primitive modulo n if the order of a is [tex]\phi[/tex](n).
(ii) a is primitive modulo n if for every element b with gcd(b, n) = 1 we have b [tex]\equiv[/tex] a[tex]^{j}[/tex] mod n for some nonnegative integer j.
Write out the complete proof that condition (i) implies condition (ii). To do this, show first that the integers a[tex]^{0}[/tex], a[tex]^{1}[/tex],..., a[tex]^{\phi(n)-1}[/tex] must lie in distinct congruence classes modulo n. Then explain why this implies condition (ii).

2. The attempt at a solution
I'm trying to figure out how to do the first part of showing that a[tex]^{0}[/tex], a[tex]^{1}[/tex],..., a[tex]^{\phi(n)-1}[/tex] must lie in distinct congruence classes modulo n. I realize that because the numbers are relatively prime has to do something with it. How is the a number taken to a power related to a number it's relatively prime to? I don't necessarily even want the full answer for the question, just more a push in the right direction. I guess of course the full answer wouldn't be bad either though. Maybe with spoiler tags around it would be good? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
golmschenk said:
Let n be a nonzero integer and let a be an integer with gcd(a, n) = 1. We have two equivalent conditions which characterize primitive roots:
(i) a is primitive modulo n if the order of a is [tex]\phi[/tex](n).
(ii) a is primitive modulo n if for every element b with gcd(b, n) = 1 we have b [tex]\equiv[/tex] a[tex]^{j}[/tex] mod n for some nonnegative integer j.
If the order of a is k=[tex]\phi[/tex](n), {a[tex]^{i}[/tex] | i=1,2,..,k} is a reduced residue system mod n. If gcd(b, n) = 1 , b is congruent to some element in the
reduced residue system mod n & hence to a power of a.

Eynstone said:
If the order of a is k=[tex]\phi[/tex](n), {a[tex]^{i}[/tex] | i=1,2,..,k} is a reduced residue system mod n.
Why? Thanks!

1. What are the two primitive root conditions that need to be proven equivalent?

The two primitive root conditions that need to be proven equivalent are the Carmichael's condition and the Euler's condition.

2. What is Carmichael's condition for a primitive root?

Carmichael's condition states that if p is a prime number, then a is a primitive root of p if and only if a^(p-1)/q is not congruent to 1 mod p for all prime divisors q of p-1.

3. What is Euler's condition for a primitive root?

Euler's condition states that if p is a prime number, then a is a primitive root of p if and only if a^(p-1)/q is congruent to 1 mod p for all prime divisors q of p-1.

4. Why is it important to prove the equivalence of these two conditions?

Proving the equivalence of these two conditions is important because it helps in finding primitive roots of prime numbers. It also provides a deeper understanding of the properties of primitive roots and their relationship with prime numbers.

5. What is the significance of primitive roots in mathematics?

Primitive roots play a crucial role in number theory and have applications in cryptography, coding theory, and other areas of mathematics. They also have connections with other important concepts such as quadratic residues and the discrete logarithm problem.