1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proofs with current density and wavefunctions

1. Apr 8, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

So I was able to find a problem that was kind of similar to a homework problem that I am working on. Unfortunately, I'm not quite sure what is going on partially within the problem.

In the problem they state that [itex]\phi[/itex]=[itex]\phi[/itex]*, but it does not state why. I was wondering if someone could explain this to me?

Also, later on in the problem e[itex]^{-i\phi}[/itex]e[itex]^{i\phi}[/itex]+e[itex]^{i\phi}[/itex]e[itex]^{-i\phi}[/itex] cancels out along with the 1/2i. I'm not quite sure how this happened either. I have tried to review the euler's equation to understand where this comes from because I'm supposing it is being canceled out based on its properties.

I have attached the proof to this forum.

I would greatly appreciate some help because the problem I am working on involves proving that the integral of the current density over a surface is equal to the momentum operator/m. I understand conceptually what this means but I need a push in the write direction with the math behind it.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2014 #2
    You seem to be missing a factor of [itex]i[/itex] when you plug back in. The [itex]i[/itex] factors come from the [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/itex].

Also,

[itex]e^{i\phi}e^{-i\phi} = e^{0} = 1[/itex].

This comes from the properties of exponentials, but you can show this using Euler's formula as well. Note [itex]\left(a + ib\right)\left(a-ib\right) = a^2 + b^2[/itex], and [itex]\sin\left(-\phi\right) = -\sin\phi[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted