1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proove logarithmic differentiation by induction

1. Feb 2, 2006 #1
    [tex]{\frac{P'(z)}{P(z)} = \frac{1}{z-z_1} + \frac{1}{z-z_2} + . . . + \frac{1}{z-z_n}[/tex]

where [tex]P(z)=(z-z_1)(z-z_2)...(z-z_n)[/tex]

Any hints? I've shown it works for a few specific cases..now I have to show that it works for n=k+1. I tried adding a [tex]\frac{1}{z-z_{k+1}}[/tex] term to both sides, and trying the product rule for P'(z)..but couldn't really get anywhere.

btw, these are complex functions, althought I don't think it makes a difference here.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2006 #2

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Hint: Have you tried differentiating P(z) using the product rule?
    Something like:
    [tex](f(x) g(x) h(x))' = f'(x) g(x) h(x) + f(x) g'(x) h(x) + f(x) g(x) h'(x)[/tex].
    Can you go from here? :)

4. Feb 2, 2006 #3
    yup I did that..

I know I can directly show it..but is this induction?

I mean I can get

[tex]\frac{(z-z_2)...(z-z_n) + (z-z_1)(z-z_3)...(z-z_n) + ... (z-z_1)...(z-z_{n-1})}{(z-z_1)(z-z_2)...(z-z_n)}[/tex]

which obviously gives the R.S of the eq'n in my first post, but is this 'Shown by induction on n'? I thought I had to interate by 1 term and then prove that it holds to the pattern.

5. Feb 3, 2006 #4

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Okay, so let:
    [tex]P_x(z) = \prod_{i = 1} ^ x (z - z_i)[/tex].
    You need to prove:
    [tex]\frac{P'_n(z)}{P_n(z)} = \sum_{i = 1} ^ n \frac{1}{z - z_i}[/tex] (for n >= 1).
    Of course:
    [tex]\frac{P'_1(z)}{P_1(z)} = \sum_{i = 1} ^ 1 \frac{1}{z - z_i} = \frac{1}{z - z_1}[/tex] is true.
    Now, assume that:
    [tex]\frac{P'_k(z)}{P_k(z)} = \sum_{i = 1} ^ k \frac{1}{z - z_i}[/tex]
    You need to prove that:
    [tex]\frac{P'_{k + 1}(z)}{P_{k + 1}(z)} = \sum_{i = 1} ^ {k + 1} \frac{1}{z - z_i} = \sum_{i = 1} ^ {k} \left( \frac{1}{z - z_i} \right) + \frac{1}{1 + z_{k + 1}}[/tex].
    Now, note that: [tex]P_{k + 1}(z) = P_{k} (z) \times (z - z_{k + 1})[/tex]. Can you differentiate [tex]P_{k + 1}(z)[/tex] with repect to z in terms of [tex]P_{k}(z), \quad \mbox{and} \quad (z - z_{k + 1})[/tex]?
    From there, can you solve the problem?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2006
  6. Feb 3, 2006 #5
    ah yes, thanks :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?