Proove logarithmic differentiation by induction

In summary, the function P(z) is given by:P(z) = (z-z_1)(z-z_2)...(z-z_n)where P(z) is the product of the z-values of the individual terms, and P'(z) is the derivative of P(z). To find P'_n(z), you need to differentiate P(z) using the product rule, and then sum up the derivatives of each term. To solve for P'_k(z), you need to differentiate P(z) with respect to z and then sum up the derivatives of the k+1 terms.
Warr
[tex]{\frac{P'(z)}{P(z)} = \frac{1}{z-z_1} + \frac{1}{z-z_2} + . . . + \frac{1}{z-z_n}[/tex]

where [tex]P(z)=(z-z_1)(z-z_2)...(z-z_n)[/tex]

Any hints? I've shown it works for a few specific cases..now I have to show that it works for n=k+1. I tried adding a [tex]\frac{1}{z-z_{k+1}}[/tex] term to both sides, and trying the product rule for P'(z)..but couldn't really get anywhere.

btw, these are complex functions, althought I don't think it makes a difference here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Have you tried differentiating P(z) using the product rule?
Something like:
[tex](f(x) g(x) h(x))' = f'(x) g(x) h(x) + f(x) g'(x) h(x) + f(x) g(x) h'(x)[/tex].
Can you go from here? :)

yup I did that..

I know I can directly show it..but is this induction?

I mean I can get

[tex]\frac{(z-z_2)...(z-z_n) + (z-z_1)(z-z_3)...(z-z_n) + ... (z-z_1)...(z-z_{n-1})}{(z-z_1)(z-z_2)...(z-z_n)}[/tex]

which obviously gives the R.S of the eq'n in my first post, but is this 'Shown by induction on n'? I thought I had to interate by 1 term and then prove that it holds to the pattern.

Okay, so let:
[tex]P_x(z) = \prod_{i = 1} ^ x (z - z_i)[/tex].
You need to prove:
[tex]\frac{P'_n(z)}{P_n(z)} = \sum_{i = 1} ^ n \frac{1}{z - z_i}[/tex] (for n >= 1).
Of course:
[tex]\frac{P'_1(z)}{P_1(z)} = \sum_{i = 1} ^ 1 \frac{1}{z - z_i} = \frac{1}{z - z_1}[/tex] is true.
Now, assume that:
[tex]\frac{P'_k(z)}{P_k(z)} = \sum_{i = 1} ^ k \frac{1}{z - z_i}[/tex]
You need to prove that:
[tex]\frac{P'_{k + 1}(z)}{P_{k + 1}(z)} = \sum_{i = 1} ^ {k + 1} \frac{1}{z - z_i} = \sum_{i = 1} ^ {k} \left( \frac{1}{z - z_i} \right) + \frac{1}{1 + z_{k + 1}}[/tex].
Now, note that: [tex]P_{k + 1}(z) = P_{k} (z) \times (z - z_{k + 1})[/tex]. Can you differentiate [tex]P_{k + 1}(z)[/tex] with repect to z in terms of [tex]P_{k}(z), \quad \mbox{and} \quad (z - z_{k + 1})[/tex]?
From there, can you solve the problem?

Last edited:
ah yes, thanks :)

1. What is logarithmic differentiation by induction?

Logarithmic differentiation by induction is a mathematical technique used to find the derivative of a function using the properties of logarithms and the principle of mathematical induction. It involves rewriting the function as a logarithmic function and then applying the rules of logarithms to simplify the expression before using the principle of mathematical induction to find the derivative.

2. Why is logarithmic differentiation by induction useful?

Logarithmic differentiation by induction is useful because it allows us to find the derivative of complicated functions that cannot be easily differentiated using traditional methods. It also helps us to avoid errors that may arise from using traditional differentiation techniques, such as the product rule or chain rule.

3. Can logarithmic differentiation by induction be used for all functions?

No, logarithmic differentiation by induction can only be used for functions that can be rewritten as logarithmic functions. If a function cannot be rewritten as a logarithmic function, then this technique cannot be applied to find its derivative.

4. How do we proove logarithmic differentiation by induction?

To prove logarithmic differentiation by induction, we start by rewriting the function as a logarithmic function. Then, we apply the rules of logarithms to simplify the expression. After simplifying, we use the principle of mathematical induction to show that the derivative of the function is equal to the derivative of the simplified expression. This proves that logarithmic differentiation by induction is a valid technique for finding derivatives.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using logarithmic differentiation by induction?

One limitation of logarithmic differentiation by induction is that it can be time-consuming and tedious for more complex functions. Additionally, this technique may not always result in the most simplified expression for the derivative. It is important to understand the limitations and potential drawbacks of any mathematical technique and use it appropriately.