1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proove there is an x s.t. x^3+x=6

1. Sep 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that there is an x∈R such that x^3+x=6.

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not exactly sure where to get started with this proof. I think I would need to define a set S={x∈R: x>0 and x^3+x≤6}. Assume S is bounded, and then find lub(S)...?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2009 #2

jgens

Gold Member

I think with some work, your approach will definately yield a correct proof; however, are you familiar with the Intermediate Value Theorem?

4. Sep 13, 2009 #3
    There are 3 solutions, if you prove one is complex then one must be real?

5. Sep 13, 2009 #4
    How exactly would I use the Intermediate Value Theorem?

6. Sep 13, 2009 #5
    Would I need to first prove that it is continuous then?

7. Sep 13, 2009 #6
    All polynomial functions are continuous over all of R.

The Intermediate Value Theorem is used frequently to establish that a solution to an equation exists (but oftern is no help in finding that solution, except by numeric approximation methods).

As an example: Show there is a solution to the equation cos(x) = x.

This is equivalent to showing that cos(x) - x = 0 is solvable.

Since f(x) = cos(x) - x is a continuous function and f(0) = 1 > 0 and f(pi/2) = -pi/2 < 0 there must exist some value c between 0 and pi/2 where f(c) = 0 (by the Intermediate Value Theorem), hence there is a solution to cos(x) = x.

Your problem can be solved similarly.

--Elucidus

8. Sep 14, 2009 #7
    And why don't you simply solve x3+x=6 and show that there are real values for x.

[tex]x^3+x-6=0[/tex]

Start by checking if [itex]\pm 1, \pm 2, \pm 3, \pm 6[/itex] are solutions of the cubic equation.

9. Sep 14, 2009 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, unless there is an integer root, that won't "solve" the equation! But that is a good way to start. In fact, it is exactly what jgens suggested. If x= 0 [itex]x^3+ x= 0+ 0= 0< 6[/itex]. If x= 2, [itex]x^3+ x= 8+ 2= 10> 6[/itex]. What does that tell you?

10. Sep 14, 2009 #9
    It tells me that the solution is between 0 and 2, i.e [itex]x\in (0,2)[/itex].

Infact if you choose x=1, [itex]1^3+1=1+1=2<6[/itex], so [itex]x \in (1,2)[/itex]

If you go by checking for x=1.5 , [itex]1.5^3+1.5=4.875<6[/itex] you will come up with the solution. Now [itex]x \in (1.5 , 2)[/itex] and so on...

Edit: In addition, I came up with better solution.

Check the sign of the discriminant of the cubic equation:

[tex]D=\sqrt{(\frac{q}{2})^2+(\frac{p}{3})^3}[/tex]

The general cubic equation is:

[tex]x^3+px+q[/tex]

Just extract p and q from your equation.

1)If D>0 then there are 1 real and two conjugate complex roots.

2)If D=0 there is one prime and two equal real roots.

3)If D<0 there are 3 real and different roots.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook